Thyroid and Alcohol
Hi All,

Firstly ... Merry Christmas to you all.

I have a question I need to find the answers to.

My wife (who is Chinese) has a very over-active thyroid (blood results were more than 3 times over what they should be). When she drinks alcahol (even 2 wine glasses) she has memory blackouts and does not know what she is doing or remember what she has done.

Is this normal with the horemone level imbalence or is it something else? Could it be caused by the over active thyroid or alcahol Intolerance ... or a bit of both?

Can it be kept under control by carbimazole?

What information is there about mental blackouts with only a little amount of alcahol?

Thanks for all your help.

Martin H
Im not sure to be honest! Iv an underactive thyroid and went out last weekend, drank four vodkas and white and was really sick the next day! I could usually drink alot more without being sick the following day! Needless to say Im not drinking anymore not even tonight! Im to tired to go out anyway! Im convinced its got something to do with my thyroid but no onw knows!
Yes, your thyroid definitely influences how you handle alcohol. Your thyroid is responsible for every metabolic function in the body. Ergo, if you're hyper, you process it too quickly, if you're hypo, s l o w l y.

Proceed with caution!
I agree with Craniac. The thyroid determines how alcohol is metabolized. I'm hypo and I find that one drink doesn't bother me but if I drink more than a few in a week's time I get some trouble. I'm over emotional.