Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid and Shoulder Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid and Shoulder Pain

Is there a link between shoulder pain and the Thyroid?
I get neck and chest pain. Ear pain, too. If the goiter is big enough it might cause shoulder pain. Also, if a thyroid disease is causing your vitamin D levels to drop - severe muscle cramping! Not fun.

:) Tamra
I should mention that I have a thyroid goiter caused by Hashimoto's.
:) Tamra
Is it possible to have a goiter you cannot detect? I am having the unfortunate situation of having to self diagnose. I have been to dozens of doctors, have Grave's and Hashi's in my family- and have lots of health problems. Last year I had a shoulder surgery that has left me in more pain. I am wondering now if I may have a thyroid problem, undetected. I have posted a few times within the past couple of days. I finally have an endo appt. scheduled. I too have ear pain, neck pain, shoulder pain and chest pain. I don't notice any protrusions though in my neck.
I should mention that the shoulder surgery was probably unnecessary. I was complaining of pain and the Orthopedic doctor I went to admitted to me after the surgery that he was looking for reasons to do the surgery when there really weren't too many (not in those words of course). I was really upset when I heard that. This was of course when I returned in more pain than ever.

He claimed I was suffering from a type II acromion bone and tendonitis, which I think could have subsided. I am guessing the surgeon was just trying to make money off of me and I was desperate and in pain. Anyhow, I thought I would add that information just in case you were wondering.