Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid and fatigue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid and fatigue

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and I started 100mcg of synthroid middle of April.  Since on the medication, I still have a lot of fatigue and I don't seem to lose any weight even with exercise.  I also have noticed a lot of headaches, pretty much every day.  My doctor says that the headaches are not from the medicine but how could it not be!  I get it within 30 min of taking synthroid.  I had blood drawn beginning of June and my tsh was 0.9 and my dr wants me to still stay on my 100mcg dose.  I don't know I feel like the medicine is lowering my tsh but I'm just not feeling well!  Someone please help me out and tell me what I should do!
Are you getting Free T3 and Free T4 tested each time you get TSH done? Those are much more important, as they are the actual thyroid hormones.

It's very possible that your dosage simply isn't high enough, yet to alleviate your symptoms.

Levothyroxine, the active ingredient in Synthroid, doesn't react in your system quickly enough for you feel effects (headache) within 30 minutes, so you could be having a reaction to a filler/binder or dye in the medication.  Ask your doctor to switch you to a different brand of med (or a generic) or ask to try the 50 mcg pills (2/day for 100 mcg), because those have no dye.