Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid cause high cortisol?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid cause high cortisol?

Can a thyroid problem cause high cortisol?  All my tests for cortisol come back high, but the petrosal sinus sampling was low and the adrenals look fine on CT scan.  What is causing the elevated cortisol????
It's quite possible that you are hypo.  What happens is that when the thyroid starts to fail, the adrenals try to make up for the lack of thyroid hormone.  That works for a while, then adrenal fatigue sets in.  

If you've had any thyroid testing, please post results with reference ranges.  Make sure your doctor orders a complete thyroid panel...FREE T3, FREE T4 and TSH...not just TSH.

Also, be aware that many of us still have symptoms if we are in the lower half of the FT3 and FT4 "normal" ranges.

Do you have hypo symptoms?

Do you have hypo symptoms?
WOW! I never saw this repsonse and it is AWESOME!  so far my results are:
TSH 1.72 (range .4-4.5)
T4 total 6.3 (4.5-12)
T3 free 3.3 (2.3-4.2)
T3 total 78 (76-181)

I am still waiting for antibodies testing to come back.  When I read symptoms of hypo it describes me exactly - actually I have been Hyper and now am more hypo... but my test results so far are in the normal range.  Any help making an argument  to the doctor that I have a tyroid problem despite the normal ranges would be SOOOO appreciated.

Thank you for responding and sorry it took me so long to get back - somehow I didn't see your response.

-1kate1
Unfortunately, your doctor only ordered total T4, which is considered an obsolete test and of limited value.  Total T4 tells you the total amount of T4 in your blood, but much of that is chemically bound by protein and unavailable for use by your body.  FREE T4 tells what's available.

That being said, your TT4 is at 33% of range, and many of us find we still have symptoms until T4 is about 50%.  However, I think that number (50%) has to be used with caution when the test is TT4, rather than FT4.

Your FT3 really looks pretty good for someone not on thyroid meds.  It's just above midrange.  

I think it's going to be really tough to make a case with your doctor, unless of course, your antibody tests come back positive.  Unfortunately, most doctors want those numbers out of range before they'll treat.  

If I were you, I think I'd request another thyroid panel, and this time, ask for FT4 rather than TT4 (save your money...TT3 and TT4 are pretty useless).  Symptoms similar to thyroid symptoms can be caused by vitamin D deficiency, iron or ferritin deficiency, B-12 deficiency, etc.  Those three are a good place to start.

Of course, you can always ask your doctor for a small trial dose to see if it makes you feel better.  If it doesn't, all you have to do is discontinue it.