Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid "girl thing" question. Please help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I have thryoid disease and a premature menopause which are totally irritating each other and causing big problems. I just want to ask the girls out there, if anyone has suffered with nonstop monthly "girl thing" as Stella calls it! (I really like that name). I can't go into too much detail here, but It's very severe too and lots of it to put it mildly. I have an urgent scan on Monday and have been told I will probably have to have a hysterectomy. I'm only 43 and wasn't ready for this, but if it helps I will go for it as I'm desperate now. I just want to ask if anyone has had a hysterectomy and if so, did it help with your menopause symptoms or do you still get them? And does it help with the thyroid symptoms too as they are so interconnected? Also did you have your ovaries removed too or just your uterus? Sorry this is so girly rather than thyroid. I am a member of the menopause forum also, but most of this stuff that's happening to me is a result of my thyroid and all my friends are here on this forum. Plus no disrespect to the menopause forum, but the responses just aren't as prompt and useful as they are here! Sorry about that if anyone from the menopause forum is upset by it.
Hey there, I cannot respond to a lot of what you are saying but I can tell you this. I had a hysterectomy when I was 32, just my uterus though. I kept my ovaries.  I had it done vaginally. They went through my belly button and did something and then pulled it out!  Recovery took a couple of weeks but I swear it's the best thing I EVER did.  I did go into kind of a shock afterwards, I had night sweats and lots of menopause symptoms. But, they went away after a few months and I started ovulating regularly again. (I can tell from the pain I get in my side.) I don't know how it would affect you if you are already having menopausal issues though.  I had my thyroid out 5 months ago and have not experienced regular menopause symptoms (I'm 41) but every once in awhile I get the night sweats.  
Thanks for answering and telling me about youself. Can I just ask you, does that mean you went through most of your menopause directly after your hysterecomy then? Are you through it? I hope that's what happens, and that it gets rid of the other symptoms like mood swings etc. The hot flushes aren't too bad, but they are when you get palpitations and anxiety with them. Thanks again.
No, I haven't gone through menopause yet. I still ovulate although not regularly anymore.  My endo has checked all my hormones and says I'm not showing any signs yet.  After the hysterectomy my ovaries went into shock and I went into a "temporary" menopausal state for awhile.  It only lasted maybe a month or two and then I was normal again. Just no periods. I will tell you this.....a few days after my hysterectomy (remember, I was only 32 at the time) I was sitting at my table eating. I had very long red hair at the time. All of a sudden my husband looks at me funny and turns out I had a hair on my head about 12 inches long sticking straight up that was jet black.  Every other hair on my head was strawberry blond but this ONE long jet black hair just sent me off the deepend. I was sure my life was over and that my hair was gonna go gray and I was gonna be a dried up old fart at 32.  But, after a few night sweats I was back to normal.  I don't have the PMS anymore, no mood swings, no crying jags, no chocolate cravings, and no zits!!!
I am going through very similar problems - very extreme to the point where I am so sick I just want to go to the ER and have them knock me out.  I had my thyroid out 8 years ago I am 47 and since then suffered from anxiety and with low profesterone, they found cysts on my ovaries, did the saliva test and have low adrenal gland function - I am a mess.  I was on Armour Thyroid but had to come off because my T3 levels were very high - since then I have been seeing an ob/gyn that treat thyroid patients since we
cannot take HRT - I am on prometrium and a special mixed profesterone cream but
it has not helped - my anxiety is through the roof - I am waking up at 3AM with severe anxiety, heart pounding, sick to my stomach.... etc. Mood swings are horrible.
Please let me know if having hysterectomy gets rid of this even if though I know after a couple of months of having it removed you do go through changes.  And anyone out there that can help me out on what to do I would greatly appreciate it.
a
I also had a hysterectomy but still have my ovaries.  I spent my 40th birthday in the hospital for that, 9 years ago. I wasn't sure if I was going through menopause,so when I started having hot flashes I thought it was from the synthroid which I have been on now for two years. My doctor did a blood test and informed me that I am post menopausal. YEAH! I wonder now if it was thyroid related.
Trish
Do you think then that by having a hysterectomy, when you did get the menopause it was smoother, that you weren't that much aware of it, coz that's what it sounds like you're saying. That you found it a suprise that you are post menopause. I might be wrong, that you don't mean that. But if it is the case, it sounds like hysterectomy might well help me with the other awful meno symptoms not just the bleeding.
Hi.  I'm new here and probably no help at all but here it goes anyway.  I just started taking thyroid meds and noticed that I am now having PAINS in my ovaries really bad for the last couple of days.  Years ago this was an issue and now it's back.  My monthly only lasted maybe 2 days, I had night sweats, and my face was always flushed.  Now on thyroid meds, my monthly lasted 6 days and my face is no longer flushed.  Night sweats are gone and now they call me mellow yellow.  ???? thyroid meds. Now my girly issues seem to be coming back?

A girl friend of mine 43 yrs. old just had her uterus removed (w/ovaries intact), due to a lg. amount and 6 mo. nonstop brown and monthly discharge.  Major clots and pains.  She does not have thyroid issues but, said it was the best thing she ever could've done.   No more PMS symptoms.  Within three days she said she couldn't remember the last time she felt that great. Two months down the road now, she said she feels great.  At first they thought fibroids; turned out lemon sized benign tumor growing fast.  

Debated on deleting my 2 cent comments; but, put time into typing it.  I don't know if it's at any help to you at all.  Hopefully you can get an answer to your problem soon.  
Best wishes;  Amy
Yes, that is how it was. I was surprised when she told me I was post menopausal because I still get some monthly symptoms like tender breasts and sometimes a little pain in the ovaries. The hot flashes had stopped and I thought GREAT, but they did return, and have left again.My doctor said they will do that.
Trish
I had a complete hysterectomy done when I was only 30 years old due to endometriosis (sp) and I've never had any regrets at all.  I didn't appreciate it at the time but, it was the best thing I could have done.  Mine had nothing to do with thyroid.  

I had the "bikini cut" which is cut very low, and no visible scar.  In regards to menopause, my doctor told me there would be no meno-pause...when they do a complete hysterectomey there is no pause about it...he said it would be more like meno-stop.  He was not wrong.  I developed the symptoms as soon as I came home from the hospital.  Once they got my hormones regulated, I was fine.  I felt wonderful.  Plus, never having a monthly period is simply divine.

Now here I am, years later dealing with thryoid.  (sigh)
You guys are all just terrific for your helpful answers, I can't thank you enough. You have given me hope that it's the right thing to do and will help more than cause further problems. And to Me967, please don't worry about what you said, your thoughts were really helpful, truly. I used to worry about what I said when I first joined, but then you realise that everyone is just so pleased that people take the time to help them, that you begin to feel more comfortable leaving your comments. Anyway, thanks again to everyone.