Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid infection?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid infection?

I am having what looks like a slightly larger appearance of a "heart-like strip" below my adam's apple. I can feel a mile (nearly non-existent) ache always from that area. My doctor tells me it is my thyroid. It looks like it is mildly swelled up, and has been there for 4-5 days.

A few weeks ago, I had a wisdom tooth extracted, and had swelling and slight pain in the surgical site areas. Five days later, I started having a neck pain feeling like a line starting from the corner of my jaw below my ears to the center point of throat below my adam's apple. The wisdom tooth removed was in my left jaw, and the related pains were in my left side. While the pains were there, I didnt notice any swelling in my thyroid. I also had slight pains during swallowing during this time.

Now my jaw and side-neck pains have gone, but for I am continuing to have slight trouble swallowing. It feels like I am trying to yank my entire trachea during the swallowing reflex.Also I am having this swelling in the front of the neck below my adam's apple. It feels like a hard "band" around my front throat.

Is my thyroid experiencing an infection? or am I having deeper issues? I am feeling quite fine otherwise, and this seems to have come out of nowhere. I am male 27 years.
You might need to have an ultrasound of the thyroid to determine any abnormalities.  Could be an infection from the dental work.  Were you put on antibiotics before dental work was done?  Have you had any blood work done for the thyroid?  I  would certainly go to your doctor for blood work and have him check out the teeth, too.
Thanks. I didnt have any antibiotic pre-medication before the removal. The dentist asked me to take antibiotics to reduce the swelling, and pain. I did so, albeit a few days late to start. My current doctor gave me 2 antibiotic injections, and has put me on antibiotic medication. I will be seeing him again next week for re-examination, when he said would do the ultrasound. He hasnt done any blood work.
Be sure to get bloodwork, too!  Very important!  Good luck.