Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid linked to Acid Reflux?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid linked to Acid Reflux?

Hi, I am wondering if any of you have had bad acid reflux due to your thyroid? And also it being at least partly cleared up when taking meds?

I think I have a thyroid condition even though the doctors wont treat me. Recent TSH is 6.9, all 3 times it's been > 4.5 but doctors wont treat me because everything else is normal. However this is all related to acid reflux and it seems to be getting worse regardless of me eating anything or nothing. Thanks!
HI there

Apparently acid reflux is common for Hyperparathyroidism adn can end up in peptic ulcer.
My mother's blood tests were all normal and so her doctors have discounted hyperparathyroidism but on parathyroid.com ("Dr Norman") I read that many doctors don't diagnose HPT unless the blood tests show elevated HPT and/or calcium even though 7-12 % of patients have blood tests within normal range.
My mother has had coughing and indeed severe nausea after eating and loss of appetite and weight loss and fatigue for 4 months now and also has now osteoporosis and onset of kidney stones another result of untreated HPT .  I think she has had undiagnosed and untreated hyperparathyroid for a long time. She ended up in hopsital over christmas on a drip and they are now giving her furosemide for congestive heart failure - which we think explains the fluidy cough and nausea.
However congestive heart failure can be a result of a long untreated hyperparathyroidism. but still they won't investigate HPT but only the congestive heart failure but in fact the worst of this coudl be stabilisied if they diagnosed and took out the defective gland.
Go to other doctors - insist - make a fuss.
I have had bad acid reflux lately. I was just DX with Hoshimoto's last week. I'm on synthroid, and the insert says not to take acid reducers within 4 hours of taking the medication. This *****. I have to make sure 4 hour are up before taking my lifesaver. Everytime I eat, feel horrible because of the acid reflux.  Of course, I think its mainly because I'm so bloated it's putting pressure on my stomach. But anywho, maybe find a good endocrinologist, and get tested. My regular GP tested me, and told me I was fine, but he never tested for antigens. I don't know the name of the blood test, but I know its on one these threads recently.
I take my synthroid in the AM and then do not take otc for heartburn until the evening.  Not much relief...I will see the endorcrinologist in a week so will have to see what the next step will be....
I so sympathise. I'm having the exact same probs, I feel like a fireater!!! I've been diagnosed hypothyroid recently and put on levothyroxine.My acid has really got a lot worse, and , not being able to take my lanzoprazole till much later is so crappy. I'm in the process of investigations for hyperparathyroidism as my PTH came back elevated, so I am getting the vibe that these things are definately all linked....and I've just been diagnosed with gallstones....whats going on!!!  I used to be so fit until recently!!!  Hope you all get some relief soon....Debs
I was tested 3 times and all 34 times TSH > 4.5, last time was 6.9. Antigens were tested and postive, although not sure the range on them I still need to get the tests from that doctor. Although all these tests no one has prescribed me anything, I do see an endo beginning of February. Still that's a month away =[

This acid reflux is killing me, I get it even when I eat nothing or plain food. It's disgusting.
I drink alot of water, and that gives it to me everytime.

That ***** your appointment is so far away. My endo spec gave me synthroid that day. They were sample packs. She said we will test again in 6 weeks if it levels out she will give me a prescription for it, if not we will try a different dose.
My endo says its a common hypo symptom. I don't usually take meds for acid reflux. Just do my acidiphilous pills. They help more than any acid.
WHAT'S NORMAL ABOUT A TSH OF 6.9??

OMG - what are they thinking.

YES - acid reflex is common - I was miserabel with my TSH over 2.0 with it.

Now that I am below a 1.0 and my other levels are tweeked - no longer so I suffer.

Barb here also has issues and we talk often about this.

I went off all AR meds - went to peppermint oil tabs to increase my digestive flow and take acidophillus to help there too - since it is a fact hypo's have sluggish intenstines and very low acid in the gut.

Hehe that's what I tell the doctors! And it just seems to keep getting higher and higher. The main reason they don't want to treat me is i'm a skinny tall guy. They say it's not possible to be hypo without being overweight. I tell them it is! So we will see after I suffer for 3 more weeks until I see an endocrinologist. This acid reflux is killing me.

Also the meds they stick me on, nexium/protonix do not work. This further leads me to believe it is the thyroid causing it :(
I suffer from the exact same syptoms (symptoms) as you are! I have been taking 75 mcg's of synthroid and since I have taken it for a year i suffer from severe gerd symptoms nights are terrible for me. I feel like I can't breath and I am choking and coughing all the time. I stopped taking the synthroid just to see if it would relieve the gerd and although I feel like crap with no energy and weight gain I have not had any gerd symptoms since. I know I have to get back on the medication soon I just wanted to see for myself it was related to my gerd problem. I really do believe it made it worse not sure what the doctor will suggest for me I know he will be upset that I stopped the medication but I was miserable with the gerd. I can't believe with all they people that suffer from this they have not put the two togather yet I know for a fact it was causeing my gerd because since I stopped taking it the gerd has stopped for the most part completely. Good luck!  
The reason why the medical industry has not put together Thyroid with multiple symptoms (including acid reflux)  I think is fairly easy to discern.

The pharmaceutical industry can make tons more money selling 10 drugs to counter 10 symptoms.  Rather than selling one Thyroid drug that solves all 10 symptoms!
I am 15 years old,I inherited MEN type 1,from my father as we found out due to my grandmas ortopsy of her dying of it,this has lead to hyperparathyroidism,I am being treated but a yer later of being diagnosed nothing has changed,I am still waiting for my tumours in my neck to be taken out,my main symptom is a very very bloated stomach and its so sore,it feels like I belly full of acid,no Matter how much I watch what I eat nothing helps?,does anyone know if this is related to hyperparathyroidism ? Please am desperate to find out! X
This is a very old thread, and you should start a new one, to get better attention for your question.  To start a new thread, go to the top of the page and click the orange Post a Question button, then type your question and click Post Comment.  

That said........ MEN affects the endocrine system;  the most common glands affected are the Pancreas, Parathyroid and Pituitary.

Do you have hyperparathyroidism?