Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid/myexedema skin pinch test/

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid/myexedema skin pinch test/

Just found this article on the web, been doing the barnes basal temperature test for years and my morning temperature was always below 96F. with a normal TSH.  Confused!  I think I need to find a doctor that treats the patient instead of blood tests.

Hypothyroid Blog

My adventures with Thyroid problems

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« How to test Hypothryoidism Type 2

How to test your thyroid, post 2 »

How to test your thyroid, post 1

1. Do you have Myxedema or are you stuffed with Mucin?

Myxedema is specific to Hypothyroidism. It is firm and jelly-like and the broken thyroid will grab onto it instead of letting it flush through the system as it does for others. It is just under the skin and makes you appear swollen; it usually starts in your face, arms and hands works it’s way down from my experience. It’s been measured in a Hypothyroid sufferer that she had a 50% increase in mucin. And, it really likes the gut and that’s one of the reasons thyroid sufferers have bellies. In some people the mucin gathers around organs and tissue and leaves the skin alone.

To test: Try to pinch the skin only on your lateral upper arm; on the outside front not the inside about 3 or 4 inches above the elbow.. When I do it I can’t grab less than an inch of arm and couldn’t even raise just the skin. For instance when you pinch the back of yours or someone else’s hand you should just be able to pinch skin and it will be more like an 8th of an inch instead of an inch.

2. Low body temperature

Most people with a thyroid issues experience a sensitivity to cold and even feel cold in bed, a feeling that you never feel just right and comfortable no matter how you bundle. Especially the hands and feet.

The body temperature lowers as the metabolism slows and taking of your temperature is the most concrete way to test for hypothyroidism, especially Type 2 or symptomatic low metabolism

Take your basal (underarm) temperature first thing in the morning before rising, it is the best time to ensure that you are stress free and relaxed. Digital thermometers are not considered accurate enough and you need either an old style mercury thermometer or one of the new non-mercury but still liquid style.

To test: to test your basal temperature, the thermometer is placed snugly in the armpit for 10 minutes before arising in the morning. Temperature readings of 97.8 to 98.2 degrees Fahrenheit are considered normal. Readings below 97.8 are highly indicative of hypothyroidism. Do this for several days. If you are a menstruating woman, take the test on the 2nd day of your monthly. Others may test on any day when you are waking and not in a rush. (From Hypothyroidism Type 2 by Dr. Mark Starr)

Tags: Hypothyroid test, Low body temperature, Mucin

This entry was posted on Sunday, September 5th, 2010 at 11:23 am and is filed under Testing. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.