Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid nodule getting bigger

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid nodule getting bigger

I am 27 years old, female. I have thyroid nodules, which I have found through ultasound.

In 2005 the biggest nodule was 11mm. I had a Fine-needle aspiration (FNA), which showed the nodule was benign. I started taking a pill, euthyrox, for 2 years. On 2007 the nodule was 14mm, on 2008 the nodule was 17mm and I stopped the pill. On 2009 the nodule was 19mm and on 2010 it was 24mm.

Now the nodule is 31mm and I am not talking any pills.

My TSH is 1.79, my T3 is 1.28, my T4 is 74.6, my TSI is 11.2%, all in normal limits.

What should I do? Can I avoid the surgery? Can the nodule get smaller if a doctor pulls out the liquid with a fine needle? Should I take a pill again?
You should take it out, it won't go away, you are only delaying the inevitable.  Have you had another FNA?  Is it cystic or solid?  Either way, if it gets much bigger you may have complication taking it out, it may affect your parathyroid glands, it may impede your esophagus.  Have another FNA, then make a decision.  By the way, my thyroid bloodwork was all normal, too, but they did find cancer when my nodules came out.  Not saying you have cancer, but you do need to get that nodule tested.  Bloodwork doesn't necessarily tell you what you need to know.