Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid nodules and iodine?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid nodules and iodine?

Recently through an ultra-sound, both sides of my thyroids showed nodules. The doctor said it's nothing serious. He also said that I should use iodine-free salt. But when I did some research online, all the info tells me that a possible cause of nodules are from a diet lacking in iodine.

I'm confused. Is it excess iodine or a lack of iodine that may cause nodules? (My diet is already very low in salt.)

Thanks for your advice!
Yes I understand what you are saying. I too have had nodules form and heard the anti iodine speeches too.

After researching - which sounds like - most of what you are reading - I went on postassium iodide/ iodine. I started doing the iodine therapy on my own but now the doctor I chose recently - is in support of what I was doing and I follow it with her.

I have seen a shrinkage in my nodule. I am going back very soon to have another US scan to see if it's smaller.

You have to undestand decades ago - "Iodized" salt was created for iodine deficiency. As decades moved forward "ionized" salt is now on the grocery shelves and is not the same - or intended to do what it was years ago. The salt now comes from a depletion of potassium iodide and the bleaching componenets like floride and others is not the pure intent as it was.

Regular table salt is not what is classified as Iodine anymore. You can find many pure forms of iodide/iodine but I really think you need to find a doctor suitable for this therapy.

I have had a remarkable positive effect adding iodine into my supplement package.

Thanks a bunch for your detailed response. Can you tell me what kind of symptoms (if any) did you experience when you were diagnosed with the nodules?

My blood test came back pretty normal (T3, T4, TSH, etc.), but I have these symptoms regularly.
- fatigue, lack of energy to walk or exercise
- sensitivity to cold
- blurry vision (sometimes)
- sore lower back and hip area

I thought that I might be suffering from adrenal fatigue, but the blood tests came back normal again.

Did you experience any of these symptoms?

Also, you mentioned that you had "remarkable positive effect" after adding iodine, can you tell me what they were?

Thanks!!
Jennie
My thyroid was ablated out years ago from Grave's antibodies. I spiral into a thyroid coma after ablation because I wasn't being treated the way my body needed to be taken care of.

I have a journal on my profile talking about it all.

Yes I had all those when hypothyroid. along with mental slowness - dry skin - weight gain - acid reflex - horrible digestion and bad bowels to name a few.

Along with other things, adding in iodine closed the rest of the gasps for me. My "alertness" and sharp thinking returned better than it was for years. Bloating and swelling was gone -