Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid removal

Hello.  I have had a multi-nodule goiter now for about 15 years.  My thyroid functions perfectly fine.  I'm not hypo or hyper, however, my enlarged thyroid really bothers me.  Mainly because it's big and people sometimes notice it sticking out.  The nodules are benign so I don't have a problem there.  I'm thinking about having my thyroid removed just for esthetic purposes but I'm wondering what kind of side effects (if any) I will have.  I know I will be put on synthroid or something similar but I was wondering if anyone has had their thyroid removed and could tell me if everything is fine now that they're on synthroid??
I had both mine removed twenty five years ago, I felt fine after that for until about a year ago when my TSH had jumped to 118, due to the fact the I had been on a low dose of 100mcg for so long, could not afford medical treatment and I was feeling normal all that time. Then I had dizzy spells and went to get tested and that is when I fould my TSH high again. Been back at 175mcg synthroid for 8 m0nths now and feel like a zombie. My tsh is 2.1, and still have bad symtoms (symptoms). It blows.
Thank you for your input - I really appreciate it!  So, now you don't have any energy?  I've heard that's one big side effect (energy level).  Did you have your thyroid removed because it was enlarged?
Yes left lob, then thirty days later they removed the other side.
Honestly I would stick with having your thyroid..

If I were you I wouldn't even contemplate having your thyroid removed, as there are too many complications during surgery and it can take up a year to get the right meds..
Talk to your doctor
Hi Kathleen,

I had to have mine removed .. Diagnosed with mulit-nodular goiter..  It was due to breathing difficulties, eating and mine would cut off my wind pipe when I tried to lay down..  It is obviously a very serious operation and one that will involve a life time of :"managing" That said, I would get a few opinions and go to a well respected. well proven physician to ensure you make the best decision for your health..  And Ga7 you're sooo right, It does it does blow..  nods

best to you Kathleen
I had an enlarged thyroid--both glands.  all thyroid function tests were normal.  i had a fine needle biopsy (7 different samples taken from different areas of the thyroid) and was found not to have cancer.  my endocrinologist urged removal of the thyroid anyway.
I had a total thyroid removal and the pathology found papillary cancer!!
My voice is affected which the doctors feel will resolve and we are working on getting the hormone levels adjusted as well as the calciun but the cancer is out.  Get the thyroid out---mine was found while seeking a couse for a chronic cough!