Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroidectomy w/Tonsillectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroidectomy w/Tonsillectomy

I am a 44 yr old female that had been in a car accident 3 mths ago in which an MRI of my C-Spine found a nodule R side of my thyroid, unremarkable on the left.  I've had the ultrasound & scheduled next week for the needle biopsy w/ultrasound. The nodule is sitting on my windpipe and the doc has advised of a partial Thyroidectomy.  (with maternal family history of goiters). In my exam (and a constant sore throat) he advised my tonsils need to come out as well.  I'm not too worried about the procedures but more concerned of the healing time since there will be two procedures done during my surgery.  I understand to keep ice chips, stay hydrated, ice packs & prepare myself for soft foods, broths (and honestly looking forward to weight loss). I'm self diagnosed hypothyroid, (have some basic med classes under my belt). My TSH was low & T3 and T4 tests came out normal. I can work from home remotely but wondering if this will even be possible.  I've read 10 days minimum for healing time from the tonsillectomy. ANY helpful hints advice, etc are so welcomed. I'm ready to get this over & done with!
"I'm self diagnosed hypothyroid, (have some basic med classes under my belt). My TSH was low & T3 and T4 tests came out normal"

Unless you are on thyroid medication of some kind, low TSH does not indicate hypOthyroid, it would indicate hypERthyroid.

TSH is sent by the pituitary to stimulate the thyroid to produce more thyroid hormones, FT3 and FT4, mostly FT4, which is converted to FT3.  If the thyroid does not respond adequately, the pituitary continues to pump out TSH in an attempt to get the thyroid to respond... eventually, the TSH will go high, if the thyroid is not responding properly.  

When the TSH is low, that indicates that the thyroid is putting out too much hormones, so the pituitary stops asking for more.

Either hyper or hypo can present normal T3 and T4 levels.  Hope you got the Free's and not the totals, which are considered obsolete and of little value.

If you would post your current labs, including TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 we would be happy to help assess your situation.  Be sure to include reference ranges, since these vary lab to lab and must come from your own report.

As to your upcoming surgery, I've never had thyroid surgery, but I've heard that it's good to have something, like lemon drops, etc to suck on in order to keep the salivary glands active.  You might want to talk to your doctor about this.

I think healing time for the tonsillectomy will be less than 10 days.