Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroidglobulin AB level of 503 4 yrs s/p thyroidectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I am waiting for my MD to receive two additional blood tests, but these test results were posted online in my chart today.  Should I be concerned?

T3, Free:  2.6
TSH, Sensitive 4.585
Free T4:  1.4
Thryoidglobulin antibodies:  503

Can anyone help me understand this?  I am 4 years status post thyroidectomy as a result of goiters.  I had (have) Hoshimotos Thyroiditis.  Is this indicitive of cancer?
Are you taking thyroid meds?  If so, what brand and dosage?   If you are having  symptoms, please tell us about them.
I am on levothyroxide 250mcg.
some symptoms--tired, sensitive skin (to the cold)--I break out in blisters when the weather changes sharply.  Hair is thinning some.  some depression but not too bad.  my blood pressure just recently increased quite a bit.  The diastolic number went from 70 to 99 for the past 9 months.  I've never had high blood pressure, no weight changes, some night sweats.
Assuming that the reference ranges for the Free T3 and Free T4 are close to those we see very often (2.3 - 4.2 for Free T3 and .6 - 1.50 for Free T4), then the cause for you symptoms is that your body is not adequately converting the T4 med to T3.  This is a frequent occurrence with hypo patients taking only T4 meds.  

As a result, your Free T4 is too high in the range and your Free T3 is too low in the range.  Free T3 is the most important because it largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.  Scientific studies have shown that Free T3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while Free T4 and TSH did not correlate at all.  

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve hypo symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results, and especially not TSH results.  

Many of our members, myself included, report that symptom relief required that Free T3 was adjusted into the upper part of its range and Free T4 adjusted to around the middle of its range.  So, you need to discuss with your doctor and request a med change to reduce your T4 med and add a source of T3, either Cytomel or generic, or you can use a desiccated type of T4/T3 combo such as Armour Thyroid or Nature-Throid.  The important thing is to adjust your Free T3 upward as necessary to relieve hypo symptoms.

Hypo patients are also frequently low in other areas, some of which can affect the metabolism of thyroid meds.  So additional tests I recommend are Vitamin A, D, B12 and ferritin.  Note that these also should be well up in their range, not in the low end of the range.
Thank you.  I just sent my Endo an email message to ask him about the lower Free T3 levels and the symptoms.

I am still a little freaked out about the Thyroidglobulin results.  Are those not as concerning because I have Hoshimotos?

Thanks again for your kind responses.
Hashimoto's shows up in tests for the thyroid antibodies, which are TG ab and TPO ab.  After a thyroidectomy, there should be no thyroid tissue left for the antibodies to attack; therefore, I expect that the residual antibodies that showed in the TG ab test should have no further noticeable effect on you.