Thyroid Disorders Community
Tinnitus and Thyroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Tinnitus and Thyroid

I have had a thyroid issue for 9 years and I have dealt with Tinnitus on and off throughout. Last night I woke up with major ringing in my left ear and I would say a 25% loss in hearing. I went to the doctor this morning they do believe it may be caused by the Thyroid since I am way off still on my labwork results. Also, I do notice and I don't know if this is part of it but when I drink alcohol I tend to get the ringing that night and last night I had a glass of wine while out.

This discussion is related to Low Thyroid and Tinnitus?.
Funnily enough I've suffered with tinnitus on and off for years, but it's worse since I developed a thyroid condition. And also, I get it worse after drinking wine. Don't know the relationship with this situation, but I think  you are right, they do seem to trigger the tinnitus worse.
I have a very severe thyroid dysfuncation and my tinnitus is bad. I guess there is definitively a relation to it. I have been treated for hypothyroidism and now I am in the hyperthyroidism.
Does anybody know that if the thyroid is back to normal the tinnus will be better, too?
I developed tinnitus about 6 or 7 months ago and I had borderline hypo tests in March.  I have wondered if there is a relationship and if it will ever get better.  I have been on levothyroxine since then and the ringing is as loud as ever!!!  
My suggestion would be to make sure that your test results coincide with what are actually acceptable levels.  If your doctor has been practicing for many years and hasn't kept up to date on changing standards for thyroid hormones, his idea of 'borderline' may be incorrect.  

I developed tinnitus when my thyroid hormone levels were out of whack  this past winter. (I have been on levothyroxine for 8 years.)  In addition to going to my GP, I went to a naturopath.  The doctor told me that my thyroid hormone levels were fine, but the naturopath said that my TSH was too high.  Standards for TSH have changed and my doctor was not up to date on what the normal range is.  I got a prescription for an increased dose of levothyroxine and within a month, the tinnitus was pretty much gone and my thyroid hormone levels are in an acceptable range.  I still experience tinnitus occasionally....usually when I haven't had enough sleep. After reading the above posts....I wonder if alcohol might be a factor.  I occasionally drink a glass of red wine or a mixed drink and perhaps that's enough to trigger it?  
This is my experience...
I had my Thyroid removed when I was 34... I took the thyroid medication but not always as I should... My doctor would scold me and then I would get back to normal levels.
Here is my point: During the last 20 years of fluctuating thyroid levels, I NEVER had Tinnitus... then at age 54 I started noticing the ringing.... it is somewhat worse but bearable. (I am now 59)

I don't think the two are related, because if they were - why did it take 20 years for the hypothyroid episodes to effect the hearing? Also from what I read... people have not seen a change in the Tinnitus even when the thyroid levels are normal.  Also, I know a friend who has a perfect thyroid, and he has Tinnitus also.  

Just want to let you know.
Well, I get pulsating Tinnitus (ear pulse feel) when hypo or hyper from heart palps - its very annoying. Its directly related to how smooth my heart beats. Even the slightest palp will guarantee the ear beat noise.

Regular Tinnitus, or 'ringing' in the ears can be thyroid related. The most common cause is being subject to loud noises over time. I also have this, but I'm use to it and sleep with a fan on - no big deal to me anymore.  

So yes its related in some cases.