Thyroid Disorders Community
Too Much Iodine?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Too Much Iodine?

Yesterday I had another episode of neck and facial flushing.  I was at work and just a little stressed from running behind and I turned bright pink and splotchy mainly on my neck.  I also got really overheated and a little shaky.  I wasn't nervous or embarased.  It lasted for about and hour and a half and then went away.  I work as a hairstylist and everyone is asking what's wrong with me.  I had an omlete with cheese and a kiwi for breakfast, a salad with shrimp and vege's, mozerella stick, and banana for lunch and about two hours later had the episode. I know shrimp is high in iodine and maybe eggs and dairy too.  I think I might have had too much iodine and caused my thyroid levels to spike.  I guess I will try to avoid seafood for awhile.  I've been trying to eat healthy and it's backfired.  Soo annoying!   I'm not supposed to get my thyroid levels checked for 6 more weeks, if it happens again I'm calling my DR.  
Eggs and dairy are not iodine foods, but the shrimp definately is. I would stay away from seafood for a while....it could have possibly been a reaction to the iodine in the shrimp.
The other thing i would ask is if you had recently taken any supplements? It also sounds like a niacin flush too....
Blood sugar levels dropping can cause that too.
I had 3 more episodes of flushing that were WAY less severe In the following days.  It always happens and hour or two after eating and I can feel my body heating up.  Then I get the splotchy neck .  I do take a Super B complex vitamin all most everyday.  Maybe I am getting enough in my diet already and should quit taking this.  On two of the days it happened I had steamed asparagus and Brocolli, which are maybe high in B3.  The other day I had a salad with greens and a bunch of vegi's.  One time I think it was alcohol related, which I've had happen in the past.  Thanks for your suggestions. I had never heard of a niacin flush.  Blood sugar could be the cause too.  The body is so complex!