Thyroid Disorders Community
Too Much Synthroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Too Much Synthroid

Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in December 2011 my #s at the time were TSH 1.52  (Standard Range0.35-4.94)
T4 0.66 (Standard 0.70-1.48)
I now know I probly shouldn't have been medicated at this point and yet somehow(over the next 6 months) I ended up on 200mcg which made me hyperthyroid. I was still fairly new to the hypothyroid routine so I remained this way for 3 months because I didn't know enough to have it checked every 4-6 weeks. I was feeling AWFUL and I finally saw a specialist! She took me completly off the synthroid. Now every month I only have about 2 good weeks where I feel ok. I am finding it may have something to do with my period/hormones. I have an awful time with frustration, moody, quick to anger, just before during and after my periods. Could this be from being over medicated on Synthorid for so long that I am still having effects after 4 weeks of stopping the medication?
I would be very doubtful that your current symptoms are due to the lingering effects of the Synthroid.  Based on the low Free T4 test result, I would be much more suspicious that the your original diagnosis of hypothyroidism was correct and that you now need to be back on the right dosage of thyroid meds.  The best way to find out is to test for the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4.  While you are at it, I would also suggest testing for Vitamin A, D, B12 and ferritin.  Also, since Hashimoto's Thyroiditis is the most common cause of diagnosed hypothyroidism, I would also suggest testing for the thyroid antibodies.  Those tests are TPO ab and TG ab.  

If you will get those tests done and post results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report, members will be glad to help interpret and advise further.
Get a different doctor....

Where you self medicating....???

No you should have not been medicated.....

With the low FT4, medication was certainly in order, but I can't imagine why you'd have been put all the way up to 200 mcg.  That's a right, hefty dose.