Thyroid Disorders Community
Took too much synthroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Took too much synthroid

I accidentally took a double dose of synthroid... I take 100mcg/s and grabbed the wrong bottle tonight and took two. Is this going to be a problem?
Thats a T4 only med, does not have a sudden reaction. You did this only once you say, so I doubt you will feel much. Maybe skip or take a half dose the next day (thats today?)

It will go mix in 'the wash' you might not notice anything at all from one day.

Those weekly / daily pill keepers are good for this reason. They make them smaller size to, if you look.
My T4 med comes in aluminium strips.
I cut one off......tootk the med then every morning, I leave the empty foil bit near my bed.
This reminds me to take my thyroxin.
Once Ive taken it, I put the empty foil bit in my daily tablet container and this reminds me that I have taken it.
If your t3 med doesnt come in foil strips then put a small piece of paper...sticky price label in a daily med container and this will remind you that you have taken it.

In regards to the doubling up of t4 med, take half the next day.
Basically by taking double, all you will get is hyper symptoms , hot flushes etc.
Doctors prescribe the meds and go by the WEEKLY dose, not daily so you will be fine
.LazyMoose is correct.

Sometimes I would forget to take mine so would make up the missed dose over the next 2 days.
No big deal...you will be fine.
I turn my Synthroid bottle upside down after I take it, so I know. At night I turn it right side up. :)
I do this with my Cytomel as well, but after my afternoon dosage.
No one is perfect and we have all made that same mistake! lol  :) :)
No biggy on the T4 meds.
Isnt it funny how when you are first started on thyroid meds, you tend to 'panic' about the least little thing lol.
I know I did.
I dont now......and sometimes have to remember what day it is to remember the dose  as I take 62.5mcg 4 days a week and 50mcg 3 days a week.
Mine has been cut down for a while due to stress and going borderline hyper.
But I know that the 'aches' will set in soon and then an increase of 12.5mcg weekly will fix me nicely lol.