Total Thyroidectomy - How long for voice recovery?
I'm having a Total Thyroidectomy next week for multinodular goiter and I've heard that your voice can be weak and whispery for awhile after even if you don't have vocal chord damage. I am a consultant and talking to people is my job...I'm planning on going back to work after 10 days and hopefully working from home on the phone prior to those 10 days.

Did you have voice issues after your TT? If so, how long did they last?

First off, good luck, I had a partial removal (left lobe) Its not too bad really. You will probably have some voice issues. One, make sure the surgeon knows what he or she is doing. The laryngeal nerve is everything. Tell them you sing part time or something so they know your voice is critical. Next, when the anesthesiologist puts a breathing tube down your throat, it will probably paralyze your vocal chords. This is temporary.

After surgery, don't clear your throat if you can help it. Drink a ton of fluids hydration is everything. Try not to talk too much a few days after the surgery. I did real light humming to try to get the chords moving. You will probably feel like your voice is messed up, but its just the chords not vibrating like they should because of the trauma from the tube.

Keep doing the humming and working the chords lightly. They will eventually sync up and vibrate again like they should.

FYI - This can take months, so be patient. I sing non professionally and it took me 2 months to get back to pretty good. My surgeon does 3 of these surgeries a week, so he was good.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Sorry to ramble.

Fuel
The mistake that most people make is: using the voice too much after surgery. Try not to talk alot for a couple of days and that is a plus. My voice became very weak after 3 - 4 days because i was talking too much because i thought that i could. Also, drink warm liquids as well. My voice was full force again after about a month, but everyone is different and it depends on you! God Bless You on your surgery and everything will go well...
After my TT my voice was really weak and raspy for about a week then each day it got stronger, I'm 5 months post-op and I would say that its almost back to normal, I still can't yell very loud much to the delight of my husband and kids, LOL!!  Best of luck with your surgery, you'll do great!!
It can be fine right away ... at least I think so ?

The first thing they had me do when I woke up was recite the alphabet .. I was 1/2 asleep .. but they wanted to ascertain no vocal chord damage ASAP "on the table" it seemed!

C~
I had two surgeries and I had a super surgeon.  I too, am a singer, it was very important to me to have a voice afterwards, so the head of the department did the surgery both times, I had NO problems!  I was singing the next day, lightly, but I could tell there was no damage.  Some people get hoarse or whispy for 3 weeks or so, but if your surgeon is good, you will be OK.  A good vocal exercise to start with is either lightly rolling your rrrr's on a pitch up and down, or using a bbbb sound with your lips doing the same thing.  I am also a voice teacher, my speech therapist that I saw prior to surgery agreed that those were good exercises to strengthen before and after surgery.  Good luck...
God bless you. I went to Riverside Methodist Hosptial in Columbus, Ohio and had a total thyroidectomy on May 7. My surgeon does approx 200 operations of this magnitude yearly, so he knows what he is doing. I rest my voice alots.

I have noticed tingling in my lips and numbness on the left side of my face. In the meanitme, my surgeon has increased my calcuim intake. Time will bring about healing, everything is a process, so trust God and allow Him to heal you.

Be blessed

I had a thyroidectomy a little over a year ago and I'm still rasping. I also can't raise my voice to a yell (the dog had to learn to respond to hand claps). My voice doesn't hurt at all, and when I first start talking,  my voice can sound normal. By the end of the first sentence or so I start going down by the octave and sounds raspy. It is better than it was,  and it may be getting better very slowly. It's better than thyroid cancer though, which was my alternative!
I went through TT 4 months ago.my doc said usually it takes around 4 weeks to get the voice back but my nodules were too big so more vocal nerves were damaged so I panicked coz my voice was bad even after three months of surgery and also my doc had asked me to practice saying 'eeeeeee' (long e :)) which helped really well.now my voice is perfect.I can sing.so in case ur voice is taking time ,don't panick.it's going to get back to normal.Just keep ur throat hydrated,drink a lot of water.yup...the throat needs regular hydration.b practice e ....n u can sing again.