Thyroid Disorders Community
Total Thyroidectomy and Voice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Total Thyroidectomy and Voice

Just wondering for those that went through a total thyroidectomy, how your voice is after removal?  How long did it take to fully recover your voice?  I am a teacher and need to have a TT because of a growing goiter.  It has not shrunk despite being on Levoxyl at 75mcg. for 2 years and a follicular lesion on the left side.  I am definitely worried about a) possibility of cancer and b) the affect to my voice (i.e. livelihood).  Any responses you can make would be appreciated.  
I had a TT 5 weeks ago.   Weak voice on the first day post op.   Almost totally normal for the next 2 weeks.   Once I went back to work and had to talk more during the day it would get a little weak and raspy in the afternoon but nothing major.  No worse than having a cold and dealing with a scratchy voice.   I also had the TT for a growing goiter that just wouldn't shrink.   Thankfully no cancer.  
I had two surgeries. a lobectomy on April 21, and a TT on June 9th, awaiting RAI due to cancer.  I am a singer and a voice teacher, I had no trouble, due to the fact that I researched and found the BEST surgeon I could find.  He is the head of Otolaryngology at the hospital I was treated at and a teaching surgeon.  He took great care to NOT damage my vocal nerves, hence I was talking when I awoke both surgeries and have been fine.  I am currently awaiting RAI, and I am a little hoarse, but it is probably due to being extremely hypo right now.  I suggest you find out how many surgeries your surgeon does a year (try to get one who does at least 50) and make sure he knows about your voice.  He will probably did what mine did.  My surgeon left a "thin film" around the vocal nerves to protect them which should all be killed off in the RAI treatment.  He also used "nerve monitoring" which is only an experimental thing, I think, but he believes in it.  
I had a really hard time with my voice after surgery for almost 6 weeks. At my one week post op visit my ENT put the scope down my nose to look at my vocal cords and the right one was not moving. FRUSTRATING!! He said he was very careful with the laryngeal nerves during surgery and did not touch them...so don't know if it was irritated during intubation (the breathing tube) or what.

Anyway...it took almost 6 weeks for me to get my voice back, it's about 90% normal now but I saw a huge change between 5-6 weeks.

Sandra
My voice was weak the first day and fine after that.  I was entertained by the other two women in my hospital room (the hospital was crowded while I was there):  Miss Constipation and Miss Diarhea (diarrhea).  Their voices were fine and they carried on quite a funny dialogue.
Had total thyroidectomy in 1993 had a wonderful surgeon!!!!!!  Scar is barely visible but as to the voice I never had a day's problem. I had a slight sore throat for a day or so.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
I am getting into 4th week after total thyroidectomy. My voice is extremely hoarse and weak. Your words give me hope that perhaps in two weeks time, my voice will start getting better. I need my voice as I am a teacher and I have to return to my classroom soon. So worried. Marcel.