Thyroid Disorders Community
Transition from Syntroid to Armour or Natural

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

How is it to switch to Armour or Natural. does it take long? Are there side effects?  Do you feel the switch ? Is it noticable? Thanks docs. thinking of switching me. waiting on blood results. Thanks For any info. Kevin
Hi, My Endo switched me fron Synthroid 137 to Armour 180 and I had no trouble. I see some are switched to a low dose of Armour and have a lot of trouble. I am having trouble with my armour and I thinking of trying another natural.
I wanted to let the poster know - that this is a forum of patients, not doctors. The expert side of Med Help/ thyroid has Dr. Lupo - who is an endo/thyroid specialist.

As for the question about switching meds, as a patient - I did have trouble switching from Synthroid to Armour. After all this time - now on desiccated thyroid hormone - I am fine, but I think I had a hard time b/c of being so seriously ill while on Synthroid.

It takes time to adjust
Heh Kevin! How are you? I see you are contemplating making a switch? It might be worth adding cytomel to your t4 med first to see how you do before switching to Naturethroid or westhroid. I wouldn't go for the Armour with all the changes and problems in the air right now. I made the switch from armour to synthroid with cytomel and my levels are perfect for the first time.
Let me know when you get your labs back!
I was out of town for a few weeks with a sick dad, but am back now.
:) :)
I just did the switch a few months ago. Very noticeable. It is important to add the T3 into your system in steps for first few weeks - not full dose at once. Split and take throughout the day also. This will avoid a temporary hyper state- miserable, shaky , headache, sweaty feeling. You may have to try dessicated and synthetic (cytomel) to see what works. Cytomel made body pain diminish fast but brought on uncontrollable headaches and heart palps for me - but others love it!  Due to Armour change, nature- throid may be better if cytomel does not agree with you.
If your Dr. has tried all the rest, like mine did, and finally wants to use a natural, then go for it. Your Dr. is going to start you on what he/she thinks works best. You may want to stay away from Armour until they get their compound straightened out. Don'y quit on the meds tho. Sounds like you need them.
I agree w/ Laura - a switch is hard no matter which way you do it.

Small baby steps...

Since you are on Synthroid now, you may want to suggest adding .5 or .10 mcgs of Cytomel first - just to see.

You'll know in 6 weeks if it is working - or if a total switch would be better
thanks everyone!
Hi, I was on Synthroid for 30 years before I switched to Armour.  I was on .112 synthroid, but got bumped to .120 of Armour (equivalent of .125 Synthroid). I have been on it for 1 month. The first week I felt a little revved up and jittery, feel good now...we'll see how it is in another 1-2 months. If it doesn't seem so great, I'll contemplate synthroid with cytomel (my doc said either way would be good). The Armour is only $9/month through my insurance, while Synthroid was $15. Levothroid has never worked well for my hypothyroid symptoms.