Treatment for Hyperthyroidism & Pregnancy
I am currently 6 weeks pregnant and have been receiving treatment for hyperthyroidism since April.  I had no plans of getting pregnant, but things have changed and I am very happy about it.  Unfortunately, I had no idea that getting pregnant in my condition was so serious.  I am currently taking 800mgs of PTU a day.  How dangerous is this to me and my baby.
Well the good news is you are on the one med that has less side effects for the baby and is safe to take while nursing (though it does pass through breast milk).

800 mg is a big dose....

They should be monitoring your  baby for growth issues (hyerT babies sometimes get to a certain point and stop growing) Expect lots of ultrasounds.

Your baby is at risk of developing a goiter (if that is the case expect a c-section) due to its thyroid being supressed by the PTU. Supressed thyroid function inteh newborn is usally revesable once born, the baby will recieve follow up labs to ensure that its thyroid function has returnred to normal. SO prepair for a few trips tot he lab where people will hold you little down and make its scream like a maniac.

Your concidered high risk, and should be treated as such. Pregnancy can make you go so hyper its off the charts, insist on monthly lab draws to watch this, you may need medication adjustments.

Congratulations on your little one.

peace be the journey

Paja (mama of two kids both conceived and carried and nursed while hyperT) - Graves, RAI 6-5-08