Thyroid Disorders Community
Trouble Swallowing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Trouble Swallowing

Hello. I have several bulging discs and osteophytes in my cervical spine and went for yet another MRI in December.  Besides my screwed up spine, the MRI showed numerous thyroid nodules.  I've had a "lump in my throat" feeling for a few months so I quickly went to an endocrinologist at UCLA for evaluation.  She said my thyroid felt "full" but she couldn't feel any nodules.  Her remark about my feeling of a lump in my throat was that it is probably phlegm.  Give me a break.  I've had allergies for about 30 years...I know what phlegm feels like.  She didn't want to see my MRI and said she was really bad at reading them.  What?  Anyway...she ordered a bare minimum of bloodwork and sent me for ultrasound and FNA.  The bloodwork came back normal and the biopsies were all normal.  My two biggest nodules measured 1.2 cm and 1.4 cm.  They were mostly fluid-filled.  I am relieved with knowing the results are good but this lump thing is absolutely annoying!  It feels like someone is just poking me right in my trachea...at the thyroid location.  Would the nodules cause me this grief?  I have been reading about hyperparathyroidism and have many of the symptoms for that.  Would the nodule ultrasound have shown enlarged parathyroid glands?  Would I possibly feel an enlarged parathyroid when I swallow?  

I am having a discogram on Tuesday for the spine problems.  Maybe the scan then will show something.  I also have an ENT appt Friday and hope she'll do endoscopy and order a slew of blood tests for me.  **crossing my fingers**

Many, many thanks for any answers, opinions or advice!

Victoria
Thank you for your reply!  I hadn't considered the nodules bothering other neck parts like your daughter's jugular or inhibiting a parathyroid.  

My ultrasound report says "mostly complex/cystic nodules throughout the gland...at least 4 on the right and 4 on the left."  I'm assuming that is the radiologist's opinion.  Then it says that the final diagnosis is "colloid nodule".  Then the microscopic interpretations section says  "Hypocellular smears show scattered small aggregates and sheets of bland-appearing follicular cells with smooth nuclear contours, granular chromatin, inconspicuous nucleoli, and moderate delicate cytoplasm.  Abundant watery colloid and scant histiocytes are noted in a background of mostly blood. Cell block shows only blood."  The report on the other nodule is the same as above except it has a little additional info..."Focal areas show slightly enlarged nuclei, conspicuous nucleoli and increased granular chromatin."  So I'm guessing that one might be a little worse?  It does happen to be the bigger of the 2 they tested.  Maybe I should break out my old microbiology textbook and try to translate that!  

You're certainly right about the idiot doctors!  I foolishly thought I'd be guaranteed someone good at UCLA.  How wrong...tsk, tsk.  

Thank you again for replying and for the information!

Victoria