Trying to understand Ultrasound results
I just got my thyroid ultrasound tests, and heres what it says:

DIAGNOSIS: Normal size thyroid gland. 3mm echogenic focus with shadowing in tghe right upper to mid pole region suggesting small focal calcific density.

COMMENT: The right and left thryoid lobes are normal in size measuring 5.1 x 1.6 x 1.9 cm on the right and 5.1 x 1.3 x 1.4 cm on the left. The thyroid isthmus is normal in thickness measuring 4 mm. Normal symmetic color  Doppler flow is seen bilaterally. There is a 3 mm echogenic focus with shadowing in the mid pole region of the right thyroid lobe most consistent with a small dystrophic calcification. No additional abnormality is seen within the thyroid gland.

I don't know what small dystrophic calicification means. It seems it's telling me I have a lump in my thyroid, which I already knew going into the ultrasound. Is calcification in the thyroid normal and common? Does it need to be biopsied? Any help interpretating these results would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
I looked it up, and dystrophic calcifications means- blood levels of calcium are normal. That's all I found. You may want to google or yahoo.
I just pulled out my report,

Findings: The left thyroid presents a 2.2 cm in greatest diameter solid mass, hypoechoic, well circumscribed with no calcifications or necrosis. The right thyroid lobe is unremarkable.

I had a thyroid Uptake and scan, but don't have that report. I shall call my doctor today.
Hi, Linda.

I too tried Googling dystrophic calcification & thyroid and I couldn't come up with any clear definition of what it is or what it means. Mostly what showed up was the phrase "matastic calcification" which I know is cancer. I also know that there can be no definitive answer about the pathology of any thyroid nodule without an FNA. Is

The odd thing is that this radiologist doesn't give a recommendation of a course of action. The report is supposed to go to my GP, who is mainly a "common cold/sinus infection" type of doctor. I have no idea what he's going to tell me about this.

I'm wondering if I'm going to need to find and Endo pretty soon to get further information about this.
My doc( I guess she's a GP as well) had ordered the ultrasound, then the  Uptake and Scan. She is the one who told me that the Uptake revealed my nodule was "cold". She then referred me to an Endo. The Endo, who received those reports from my doc, is the one who ordered the biopsy.
Do you have insurance? You may need to have your GP write a referral to an Endo. So, if you do have insurance the visit will get paid. You will probably just need to make a copay.
I wouldn't delay.