Thyroid Disorders Community
Two thyroid nodules

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Two thyroid nodules

Hello everyone I'm so glad I found this site. I was diagnosed with two thyroid nodules last week.  One solid and the other a complex nodules.  My question is two fold, are complex nodules almost always cancer in male patients, and if it is cancer will my thyroid be completly removed.  Any help?
Ed2020
Welcome!  Sorry it's not under better circumstances but I guess healthy people just don't hang out here much!  :-)

Your risk of cancer does go up because you are male but only slightly.  Still only about 1-5% of thyroid nodules are cancerous, I'm hoping that you are in the majority and just getting a benign thyroid removed
http://www.endocrineweb.com/nodule.html

*If* they find cancer in the OR they will want to take the entire thyroid.  *If* they find cancer in pathology after your surgery and you only have had 1/2 of the thyroid removed (like what happened to me and a few others on this forum) they will want to consider having the other 1/2 removed later.  The treatment for thyroid cancer (RAI) isn't effective if you still have part of your thyroid in tact.

Complex nodules are more suspicious than cystic nodules but there are plenty on this site who have had benign complex nodules.  Unfortunately the only way to find out for sure is to have it removed and biopsied.

Benign or malignant you will be taking a little thyroid replacement hormone pill for the rest of your life.  Small price to pay for getting rid of a diseased gland!

Hang in there and post all the questions you want - we're here for you.
Hi there,

I had two nodules one 3.0cm on right and left 1.7cm and a cyst my right lobe was removed 17 days ago because nodule was suspicious it was all completely benign! so dont worry your self sick like I did prior to surgery. With all the support I had here on this site I gained peace of mind. I still have a left nodule and cyst intact. So I know how you feel. Most of these are benign like utahmomma said. Let us know if we can help in any  other way.. word of advice.. dont read to much info on the web! it will just add weight to the mind it is what it is! and no matter what you will be fine! these are so very common =)  Ask any questions ... there is alot of us here in the double smile club =) take care

Kelly~
Thanks you guys so much for your comments. I went for a FNA a couple of days ago. Do they always suggest for complex nodules to be removed by surgery?  And how does one go about finding a top surgeon. I live in San Francisco any suggestions?
Thanks again
ed2020
I looked for top thyroid doctors and the website gave me much information............you have to find a surgeon who has done at least 1000 thyroidectomies to be the most experienced..........so far I have an apt. with a relatively good surgeon beginning of July and a 2nd opinion today for the nodules......