Thyroid Disorders Community
Ultra sound Thyroid polyps

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Ultra sound Thyroid polyps

Hi, 12 years ago after delivering my child I was diagnosed with Hashimotos disease.I had symptoms only for a very short time, and they went away after a few months. No meds were given, and I was just monitored very closely. I again had it with my second child 2 years latter, with the same situation. Symptoms passed after a few short months, no meds were given. I was monitored by my Endocriniologist for a few years after that. My thyroid on its own went back to normal, and I never had any symptoms until recently. My voice has been hoarse. I went to an ENT, and was scoped and told that I had singers nodules that appeared benign. They were small. I feel like I have something in my throat,I have been hoarse for about 4 months, so I asked for a thyroid sono. Here are the results. R lobe of the thyroid measures 3.9x 1.8x 1.1 cm. There is a hypoecholic nodule of the lower pole, measuring 0.5x 0.3x 0.4cm. There is an isoechoic nodule of the mid pole measuring 1.9x 1.2x 1.1 cm.
The left thyroid lobe measures 3.9x 1.5x 0.9 cm. There is an isoechoic nodule measuring 0.7 x  0.7x 0.7 cm. The isthmus measures 3 mm. Can I have an opinion on this. I am 43, female, and in general good health. I still menstaurate monthly, but in the last few months it has been a heavier flow. Thanks for any information.    
Did you get your labs checked too?  Hashimoto's doesn't just go away since it's an autoimmune disease and Hashimoto's can form multinodular goiters.

The nodule on your mid pole is large enough to biopsy and large enough to cause you problems - that may be what you are feeling.

Did they run a "flow study" during the ultrasound to see if there was increased vascular activity to any of the nodules (which can be a warning sign) or mention any calcification on the nodules (also a warning sign)?

Having multiple nodules can be a better sign since most (but not all) cases of thyroid cancer arise in a solitary nodule.  I say not all because of the 4 cancer cases in my family I'm the only one with a solitary nodule.

Also, because you are past 40 (hey, I'm not knocking it, you're my age) you are at increased risk.

Is your endocrinologist a thyroid specialist?  Many are diabetes specialists but really don't know much about thyroids.  It may be a good idea to see a second opinion and ask for additional imaging studies (CT scan, ultrasound with a flow study) and a biopsy.

Hang in there

Utahmomma
papillary carcinoma '03
recurrence and RAI '06 and probably '08
three sisters with papillary carcinoma; one with precancerous nodules; daughter with precancerous nodules.