Thyroid Disorders Community
Ultra sound results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Ultra sound results

Hi everyone I was on here before and I had my 6 month ultra sound on my thyroid last week. I got my test results back today and I would like some feed back please. Okay...Findings....

The left lobe of the thyroid measures 4.5 x 1.51 x 1.14 cm.  On the previous exam, it measured 4.5 x1.36 x 1.26 cm.  A 0.68 cm hypoechoic mixed cystic/solid mass is seen similar to the previous exam in left upper lobe.  A 0.24 cm left upper lobe cyst is seen.  It previously was 0.18 cm.

The isthmus measures 0.35 cm and on the previous exam measured 0.17 cm.  The difference may be the difference in sampling.

The right lobe measures 5.47 x 2.66 x 1.64 cm.  Previously it measured 5.12 x 1.8 x 1.66 cm.  There is a complex cystic mass with irregular appearing septae coursing through it.  It measures 2.82 x 1.83 cm on today's exam and on the previous exam it measured 2.22 x 1.24 cm.  A nodular component is seen inferiorly.  This was not present on the previous study.

Impression: Bilateral thyroid nodules- masses.  These apprear similar to 5/01/2009.  There appears to be a solid component in the right lower lobe mass.  This may represent debris within the cyst. I would suggest short term followup in 3 to 4 months.

My questions are this..... Does this look like cancer and should I have the whole thyroid removed?
Thank you!!
Hi fashiono,
Just a few questions.  What started you to get your thyroid checked? What symptoms do you have?  Are your levels off?  
I have had a "stable" nodule for 8 years.  At that time I had problems swallowing.  They discovered a thyroid nodule which I then had a biopsy of.  The labs were always normal and the biopsy was inconclusive.  The doctor told me to just monitor with ultrasound yearly.  
Well, recently I have lost weight, extreme fatigue, rapid heart beat, and shakiness.  Ultrasound on 2/2/10 shows some new masses and also the original nodules hypervascular and significantly bigger than before.  I saw an ENT doctor who suggested TT because of the changing sizes.  If I do not get it removed it would mean repeated ultrasounds and biopsies.  My family doctor told my it is "probably cancer!!"  What a way to scare someone.  ENT said he thinks there is a slim chance so I am not as worried.  Apperently thyroid cancer is treatable but no cancer is good.  

Anyway enough about me.......sorry.  Your ultrasound sounds similar to mine.  It looks to me like your areas are getting bigger.  The complex cystic mass doesn't sound great.  Personally I would want it removed because it could need alot of monitoring.  These areas probably wont get better unfortunately. Is it cancer....who knows????  Sometimes a biopsy can tell but I have heard people had clear biopsy and then TT and they found cancer.  I hope I didn't scare you.  You do need to follow up with your doctor.  
Good Luck and keep us posted!  
Thanks for answering my post. Well this all started in Feb.2009. I went for my yearly female exam and told my gyo that I was having shortness of breath so he sent me to my regular gp to have heart testing which turned out fine. I then asked if I should have a chest xray because even though my heart is fine I am still short of breath. So They sent me for a CT of the chest area and that was when they found the one cyst on my right side of my thyroid and had me recheck in 3 months. Well it has been getting larger even after I went to an endo for a second opinion because I didn't want to wait around on it. He put me on 50 mg.of Levox(?) to see if it would shrink..which it didn't just got bigger and more of them. I did have a biopsy which came back okay. I have gained about 30 lbs., hair thinning, no engery, joints hurt, neck hurts, problems swallowing, feels like I have a rope around my neck, pain in my ear ,extreme fatigue, cold hands and feet all the time. The summer before they found the nodule I had the problem of sweating awful to the point my head would be so wet that I cut my hair really short to see if that would help but it didn't.
No one has said anything about cancer and that I just need the right side taken out. But I feel like that if there are nodules on the left side as well and growing I do not want to go through 2 surgeries. I told a friend that if I am going to pay someone to cut my throat they will only get one chance.lol
I am to meet with a surgeon next week to see what he says.
I am sorry to hear about yours also...Are you going to have surgery and if so when?
Good Luck to you also and keep us posted.
The ENT is a surgeon and want to take out my thyroid...he is somewhat knife happy, but that is fine with me.  I agree with you that I only want to endure 1 surgery!  Someone told me to insist there is a pathologist in the OR to check the part they removed right away so if it is cancer they know if they need to remove more.  I have talked to many people who say if they only remove part, the other part can keep functioning and you may not need meds.  That doesn't always happen though.

The ENT doctor told me I can't have surgery untill my level's are normal....TSH 0.230.  I say who cares just take it out!!!  I work in a hospital and I joke with my friends that I am looking for anyone willing to cut my throat LOL.  Unfortunatly or fortunatly we know all the bad surgeon's in the hospital I work and wouldn't trust them with our dogs.  And when someone is cutting your throat I guess you shouldn't rush things.  

Anyone else had to wait for surgery untill levels are normal???  I feel like this could take forever!!!  BUT I am trying to stay positive.
The hormone therapy is not effective method to shrink the cyst. Simple cyst without compartments can be shrunk using PEI therapy; doing that for complex cyst may not be as helpful.
I understand about knowing all the docs at your hospital...I know all of them here as well. One is a really good surgeon but doesn't do that many thyroids so I am going to UAB in Birmingham,AL to see a surgeon that does it all the time. They say only let a surgeon do it if he does at least 50 a year. I have never heard that you have to have your levels normal. Did he say why? Let's hang in there together.
Are the complex cyst more likely cancer?
Well I went to see the surgeon yesturday. He told me no it's not cancer and it was to small to be causing me to have problems swallowing. Well I am!!  He said my complex cyst was small 2.82 x 1.83 and he didn't recommend taking it out till it is 3.5 to 4 cm. He also said that I need to get an ultra sound in 6 months to a year to monitor the growth. And when he takes it out he will do a total removal due to nodules on both sides. And I would be on meds. for the rest of my life and that is the reason for waiting. I did have a biospy done earlier and it came back normal but how can he say for sure that it is not cancer? And is 2.82 x 1.83 small?