Thyroid Disorders Community
Ultrasound reveals several thryroid masses. What does this mean?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

My doctor found a neck mass and I just received results from my ultrasound (below).  It turns out I have several masses on my Thyroid.  I am not able to get in to see the Endocrinologist for a couple of weeks and I would like help in determining what my ultrasound means and if I need to be concerned about cancer.  I have a two year old daughter and one year old son so this is very scary for me.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Report: The right thyroid lobe measures 3.7 x 7.6 x    
2.9 cm and the left 2.0 x 5.1 x 1.7 cm.  There is a complex,    
partially cystic and partially solid mass in the mid right    
thyroid gland, measuring 3.7 x 3.5 x 3.0 cm.  1.5 x 1.0 x 1.3    
and    
1.5 x 1.3 x 1.3 cm heterogeneous solid nodules are also seen in    
the upper right thyroid lobe.  In the upper to mid left thyroid    
gland, there is a complex cystic mass measuring 1.6 x 2.0 x 1.1    
cm.  A simple appearing cyst in the lower left thyroid gland is    
also present, measuring 0.7 x 0.7 x 0.4 cm.  Several other    
smaller solid appearing left thyroid nodules are also noted.    
The    
isthmus is unremarkable.    

IMPRESSION: Several bilateral solid, cystic, and complex cystic    
and solid thyroid lesions, measuring up to 3.7 cm in the mid    
right thyroid gland.  Benign and malignant thyroid processes are    
not distinguished sonographically.    

You can not always tell from the ultrasounds if you have cancer or not.

Most likely you will have a biopsy done. I don't think even a biopsy can tell if they are all canerous or not. It looks though that you are in for some surgery in the near future.

Keep your appt. and try not to stress over it. I know it is hard i am right where you are right now, but mine are (at the moment) lymph nodes. As a matter of fact just started today with blood work due to an enlarged lymph node in the neck and lymph nodes in the groin area (I am a female). I have had lymphadenopathy in the neck and had two lymph nodes removed already, so they are trying to find out why my lymph nodes are enlarging.

I have already had my entire thyroid removed, my submandibular gland, a mass in the abdomen/pelvis area, my left ovary because there was a complex cyst on it. I have also had a calcified ligament removed in the neck along with a neck mass. All within the last 6 months. My thyroid was removed 14yrs ago.

My position is not worrying of what it is, it is well they ever figure it out.....

Hang in there and have positive thoughts....

I wish  you luck....
I have learned from experience not to worry until there is a firm DX of cancer and even then if you are going to get cancer, Thyroid cancer is the one you want. 98% Very,Very treatable. The next step would be to have a FNA done and this should tell you benign or not.

I just had my thyroid removed (TT) on 2/18 for pap.Thyroid cancer. I stressed myself out by worry about the what if. If I remember right, 95% of all FNA come back as benign so the good news is that there is only a 5% chance of cancer.

The hardest part is waiting for the FNA results, mine took about 5 days and even then I went into denial about the cancer and requested a second opinon.  I know that going through this (the possiblity of thyroid cancer) is very stressful at the start of the process but just tell yourself that It is going to be just fine. Worst case, you have thyroid cancer. The next step is the TT surgery, then the RAI (radiation) that is the step that I start in April, then just follow up visits to ensure no cancer returns, which by the way they will be able to tell by a simple blood test once the thyroid is removed. If it does come back then they just give you another dose of RAI.
Back in September, I was freaked when I was told I had thyroid cancer...thought "end of the road" I had even been told that mine had already spread into my neck tissue and lympnodes by one doctor. After my surgery, they found that this was not the case and the cancer was only on my thyroid. Some doctors jump a little too fast at the worst case DX and can cause you to worry even more. The bottom line is that when your FNA results come back, they should give you an idea of whats going on but I have learned that even then the doctors will not give you a firm DX of cancer if the FNA comes back as suspicious for cancer until after the surgery when they can confirm that the FNA was correct. I am being treated at the Seattle Cancer Care Center and when I see those women in the waiting room who are fighting breast cancer, I feel very grateful that I am not fighting that fight.

There are a lot of friends on the forum that will help you through all of your questions and/or if you just need to vent. There are many that have been through Thyroid cancer and many who have been through the surgery and found out that all was benign. Either way...we are here for you!