Thyroid Disorders Community
Ultrasound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Ultrasound

I had a routine ultrasound of my thyroid for a multinodular goiter this morning. It's now dinner time and I've just received a call from my endo stating he wants me to have a biopsy "asap" because there is significant growth on one nodule and several new nodules have appeared.

I know what to expect as far as the biopsy is concerened, what is concerning me is what could have caused these new ones to grow out of no where? I'm so confused. I'm not sure what to do next.

What causes goiters to grow? Is it more liekly they are fluid filled? The fact that all the new little ones have appeared does this mean cancer? Any comments would be appreciated. Thank You.
Abnormal thyroid levels can make a thyroid grow (goiter) as can a benign or a cancerous growth.  "Multinodual" can be a sign that there is abnormal tissue and new nodules isn't the best of signs.

I had a small "mixed" nodule (fluid/solid) and opted not to have the biopsy for two reasons:  1) the nodule was so small I was concerned that any cancer could have been missed by the biopsy and 2) I had a gut feeling it was cancer.  I had a lobectomy (long story - I wanted a total thyroidectomy if they found cancer but it wasn't discovered until after I was in recovery) and they did discover papillary carcinoma.  The good this is it was caught so early and was Stage I which left me with a lot of options.  I probably wouldn't have had the other lobe out if 3/4 of my sisters weren't diagnosed with papillary carcinoma after me (I started the trend and ended it with my final lobectomy).

*IF* it is cancer most types (the most common types) of thyroid cancer are VERY slow growing and VERY treatable.

Here are some good resources:
http://www.endocrineweb.com
http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/dept/thyroid/
http://www.thyca.org/

Read all you can and ask a lot of questions.  Talk to your endo about the biopsy, what your endo's instinct is on the ultrasound results, and what the near term and long term options may be.  Discuss medications, RAI, and surgery then spend quite a bit of time thinking it all over before you make up your mind.  

You have lots of resources and friends on this forum.  Hang in there.