Thyroid Disorders Community
Unexplained Weight Gain
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Unexplained Weight Gain

In 2003 I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease after having routine blood work done.  My doctor sent me for some sort of Iodine Uptake Test to confirm the diagnsosis.  I started losing weight rapidly dropping from 287 pounds to 199 pounds in about five months.  While away at college I started gaining weight again rather rapidly, I thought that the condition may have actually reversed itself and turned into hypothyroidism but after returning to my doctor and having more blood work done I found out that my hormone level had nearly doubled from 2.5 to 4.7.  I am really confused as to why I gained the weight back yet still have the extremely elevated hormone levels.  What could explain the weight gain
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
You  might want to have your adrenals checked.  DHEA  and cortisol.  Adrenal fatigue has the same symptoms as hypothyroidism and weight gain is one of them.
Blank
176557_tn?1222893911
Just wondering what hormone level you referred to in your post?  If your TSH went from 2.5 to 4.7, you are probably hypothyroid, which could be the cause of the weight gain.  If you refer to T4 levels, then it would be a different story.

Fun, isn't it?  A lot of doctors will insist weight gain has little to do with thyroid.  While I guess I see their point, I have a feeling it has more to do with weight gain than they'd admit!
Blank
It's my T4 that is elevated, when I was diagnosed my doctor told me it was extreme hyperthyroid.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank