Unexplained Weight Gain
In 2003 I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease after having routine blood work done.  My doctor sent me for some sort of Iodine Uptake Test to confirm the diagnsosis.  I started losing weight rapidly dropping from 287 pounds to 199 pounds in about five months.  While away at college I started gaining weight again rather rapidly, I thought that the condition may have actually reversed itself and turned into hypothyroidism but after returning to my doctor and having more blood work done I found out that my hormone level had nearly doubled from 2.5 to 4.7.  I am really confused as to why I gained the weight back yet still have the extremely elevated hormone levels.  What could explain the weight gain
You  might want to have your adrenals checked.  DHEA  and cortisol.  Adrenal fatigue has the same symptoms as hypothyroidism and weight gain is one of them.
Just wondering what hormone level you referred to in your post?  If your TSH went from 2.5 to 4.7, you are probably hypothyroid, which could be the cause of the weight gain.  If you refer to T4 levels, then it would be a different story.

Fun, isn't it?  A lot of doctors will insist weight gain has little to do with thyroid.  While I guess I see their point, I have a feeling it has more to do with weight gain than they'd admit!
It's my T4 that is elevated, when I was diagnosed my doctor told me it was extreme hyperthyroid.