Thyroid Disorders Community
Very Uncomfortable feeling in chest & ribs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Does anyone ever get a very uncomfortable heavy feeling in chest area? I feel like I am bruised and even the ribs feel sore. Could this be symptoms from going hypo again? My breathing still is off too....that is the first sign i am swinging hypo again. The feeling is enough to cause anxiety when you do not know if it is related to thyroid.
Waiting for doctors office to call tomorrow to see if ok for increase. I don't remember ever feeling like this with synthroid, although very easy to forget past symptoms until far in the hypo cycle.....then I go "Oh yeah....I have felt like this before"  lol    It is funny but not funny when you are anxious from absurd hypo symptoms!!!
I get that a lot. Risidual hypo symptoms.
It's been less bothersome lately. Don't know if that means my levels are good or if I'm going hyper. LOL!!!
Oh thank goodness someone else knows how it feels. It is kind of scary! I think there is stomach pain and problem involved too.
Yes it feels like someone kicked me in the middle of my chest. Any ideas of what will help AR?
I didn't have this feeling on synthroid....just since i have been on armour.....hmmmm
For me, the problem was/is twofold.

I am taking Ranitidine to reduce my stomach acid because it was found I have a small hiatal hernia and some acid reflux. Which feels like anginal sometimes.

That helped a lot.

But the heavy feeling and general ache that has you rubbing your chest to make it lessen is thyroid related. That feeling when you lay down and it feels like your heart weighs ten pounds and just wants to quit, and then it skips a beat just to freak you out, that is thyroid related. That feeling behind your sternum like somebody punched you in the chest yesterday...

at least it is in my world.
Welcome Laura to AR's world....hmmmmm....I DON'T LIKE IT!!!!  LOL
So i need to try my darndest to ignore it.........yeah..........great!!!!
I wouldn't doubt that i have an acid reflux thing going on too, my stomach has been hurting big time.....i think i will try some tums....we will see what walgreens has tomorrow. The ones they prescribe seem to have too many warnings for my liking.
Well that certainly stinks that the thyroid causes such discomfort in the ribs....feels like my intercostal muscles are being lifted one by one....OUCH!
Does our thyroid leave anything alone?????????????????? Darn thing!  :)
Also sounds like costochondritis- an inflammation in the muscles between the ribs.

I get sort of the same feeling from asthma and I used to when the anxiety was bad last year.
I get the feeling in my chest.  It starts at my thyroid and goes down to my lungs/ribs.  It feels like a tightness/pain.  I was put on Singulair before they dx Hashis.  They thought I had allergy related asthma.  I never felt this was my problem, but I have been taking Singulair since Sept 07 and it has helped immensely with the tightness and chest pain.  Another very odd thyroid symptom!  
I found some interesting information on costochondritis caused by .....get this....autoimmune diseases, among other things like asthma. Sooooo it must be from the hashi's. Today I am suffering with a lot of intercostal pain in upper chest on both sides. It hurts so good when you rub the actual intercostals. I use to get this too with my asthma, so i have been concerned. My oxygen levels were fine at drs office on friday. I am chalking this up to Hashi's.  Plus my thyroid has been hurting and burning and i have been crashed all day today. Waiting on bloodwork i had done on friday to see if i can increase meds.
Sorry your hypo. Yup I would say everyday. :) PS Xanax will not help me! That is one of my major symptoms of this hashi's;)
Are you serious?????  I have never brought that symptom up to my Endo, but I have suffered with Costalchondritis for a year now!!!!!  Do you know what my PCM keeps telling me???  It's just something women go through!!!  That there is no reason for it!!!  You're serious???  Could you please send me the link in a PM???  

Thank you so much!  My whole world makes sense now.  It's a chronic thing.  There isn't a day that goes by where I don't lean over onto an elbow and go to get up and swear I'm breaking a rib.  I describe it to my docs as a feeling like a rib has slipped out of place and it physically appears out of place.  Meds don't help.  They put me on some sort of Motrin mix thing and it just made me nauseous!  Thank you thank you thank you!!!  

-KD9ER
Go and google it costochondritis and autoimmune disorders and read all of them you can find. I read about 4 diff search pages of info and it seems to fit. There is soooooo much to hashi's and graves that is unknown to these doctors unless they really sit down and start researching it like us. So many symptoms and body systems and parts affected. Inflammation is the biggy throughout our bodies from the antibodies causing a ruckus! Let me know what you think after you have done all the reading too.
My search started with sore intercostal muscles and then took off from there as well.
Hey, yes I was reading about this the other day when symptoms came back. Also linked to fms, I saw it there when I was reading on it.
Geez - Laura

What's up with all this stuff again hey?

Do you feel like the muscles are swelling?
Heh Stella- No I don't feel like the muscles are swelling, I feel like someone took a baseball bat to my ribs front and back. lol   Nice huh?!
I think my immune system still needs someone support and work....maybe I wouldn't have caught it from my daughter if I had been stronger. Plus I havent been to my acupuncturist for 3 weeks as she has been out of country....I see her this friday.
This breathing issues wasn't from thyroid this time....lol    Would have been an easier fix though! LOL
Another thing to consider....I have been waiting for a diagnosis and cure for one year.  During this time, I have been very anxious and tense as I shuffle from Doctor to Doctor.  My throat hurts, I can't breathe, etc.  All my muscles in my neck, torso and upper back became rigid and tight.  My first ribs have pulled up under my clavicles and my other ribs are not in alignment.  Constant tension on my part has caused this to my body.  My intercoastals burn!!!!

Your body is all related.  If you hold tension in your neck, it reaches down to grab the next muscle for support and so on.  Next thing you know....you're messed up like me LOL

I was sent to Physical Therapy and I am making slow improvement.  I have this great tube that I lay on to stretch and do excersises to open the ribs.  My PT manually moves my ribs into location.  I thought I had that costochondritis but after she put my rib back in place the sharp shooting pain has lessened greatly.  If nothing else, I have learned that tension can reak havoc on your body.  Take time to relax, meditate, stretch and be aware of your posture and how you are holding your head, neck, and shoulders.