WELCOME to the Thyroid Disorders Community ...
Welcome to the Thyroid Disorders Community!

If you or a loved one has experienced thyroid concerns of any kind that has affected your life, you've found the right place.

If you just found out you have a nodule and need a biopsy (FNA), here is a great FAQ Article which will answer many of your ?'s

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Thyroid-Disorders/THYROID-NODULE-BIOPSY-FNA--FAQs-/show/434?cid=62

You'll find we are a very supportive and caring group of people who, are just like you, and understand how your thyroid can affect every aspect your life. We understand you may be shy to make that first post ..it's ok we all were there once, too!  But keep in mind that no question is to big or small, we are eager to help.

*  8/5/10:  All treatment options may be discussed on our community, keeping in mind that Complementary Medicine is a "sister" community where you an also talk about thyroid treatment.

Please feel free to look around the forum and get to know the options you have on your personal profile.

There is an option to view the 'community archives' located next to the green 'post a question' button. In it you will find the forum’s past questions and posts regarding thyroid disorders and some of the possible treatments you may have had or would like to learn more about. If you have suffered from thyroid issues, check out the 'health pages' option in the upper right corner of the forum. You will find some great, resourceful information on symptoms and the different options available to treat your pain as well as research, testimonials, and guides to reading your lab work!

You have many options on your personal profile. You can change your My MedHelp theme, add a 'Baby Page',  'add' friends, send 'private messages' and post 'notes' to the other members of MedHelp, as well as add Trackers.  

Please make sure you look at our Thyroid Tracker! It's a wonderful way to track your symptoms & medicines, all at a glance with graphic charts and area for journals!  Using the Thyroid Tracker gives you the ability to e-mail it to your doctor as a point-of-reference before or during your appointment so he/she can see the direct correlation between symptoms and medicine and/or dosing, change of meds, etc.  Take a look at it -- I guarantee you, you will start using it!

Thyroid HormonesTracker:  
http://www.medhelp.org/land/thyroid-hormones-tracker

You'll also find you have a 'Journal' on your profile. You can write anything you like in your journal and chose to make it public for any other MedHelp member to see, allow only your friends to view it or keep it private for only you.   You may also want to fill out a little bit of information about yourself on your personal profile so we can all get to know more about you as you post and comment in the community.

We're so glad you have found us here and really look forward to getting to know you better, as we learn how your condition has affected you and your quality of life.

We want to make sure this community stays as helpful and supportive as can be. So, If you ever have any ideas or comments on how this forum can offer even more help and support, or have any concerns or issues, please feel free to private message your Community Leaders, Stella5349, Laura1967 or ChitChatNine.  

WELCOME!

NikkiP/Stella
Laura1967
Hello and a great big THANK YOU for sharing your knowledge and stories.  I thought maybe it was just me - all in my head (now supported by recent lab results - so HA!)- that all these crazy symptoms were just an added bonus from having gone through breast cancer treatment.

So here I am, on a new forum learning from the real experts (having/going through it) what to do and most importantly what NOT to do.

Anyone develop thyroid problems post chemo and/or radiation?

Blessings to all for improved and continued health.

Nat
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's a year ago and put on levothyroxine. I've gained a lot of weight and am always exhausted. Is it the meds or the thyroiditis? Also, I have a couple of nodules but the diagnosing doctor said he was just going to monitor them for a while. My secondary problem seems to be getting his office staff to take my questions, and the timely refills of my meds seriously. I ordered the refill a week ago, I am completely out, and the office still hasn't okayed the refill. Is it a problem if I go without the levothyroxine that long? Any suggestions?
RLKMCD
I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism.  My TSH third generation results were  9.234 back on March 5, 2009.  I started synthroid a few days laters @ 50mcg a day.  On April 22, 2009 I had more blood work done and the TSH third generation results are 0.903.  My sister was diagnosed about 7 years ago with Graves Disease and the Doctor's used radiation on her thyroid.  It's been a long battle of changing the dose of her meds to keep her hormones in a normal range.  Which of course worries me.  I know it takes a while to start feeling better, but how can the blood work show my thyroid went from HIGH to almost LOW in little over a month and half...will I eventually level out?

Enough of my rantings....lol It is past my bedtime!  So, I will close for now with a thank you for having a community filled with people just like me!  :)

Thanks again,
Sharyn
Dear All,

I posted my question for few days, but no reply at all.....can anyone pls help?

My test results
TSH----------2.14 mU/L
T3, Free-----0.35 ng/dl
T-4, Free----1.2 ng/dl

is tat normal....i hv been taking OCP for a year time, will it affect the test result?

I am a bit worry....it seems like i got the symptoms that shown i m havin hypothyroidism....

cold intolerance
weight gain, hard to lose weight even though i went through slimming program
abnormal menstrual cycle, heavy menstrual
muscle cramps sometimes
easily feel upset, mood swing easily...kind of depression
itchy, dry, sensitive skin
paleness sometimes

pls give me some advices...

thanks alot.

ee

Hi, all! I'm new this past week. I just love this site and the trackers. I have been diagnosed with 'mild' parathyroid disease, even though my body would complain that my symptoms are not mild.

Also, the doc just did a biopsy of three nodules in my thyroid area. I'm waiting for those results and trying to stay positive. I am also waiting for my doc to refer me to have parathyroid surgery.

Thanks, moderators, for a great place to share.
Tamra
I'm a mess...got so many things going on for the past 2-3 months.  First, I had noticed that my lymph gland on rt side just under my jaw was swollen...went to Dr, she felt it and said yes it is swollen...gave me an antibiotic...took all the meds and it still felt swollen...called Dr and told her, she gave me another script for antibiotics!!  I was just about done with the second round of meds when out of the blue, my Parotid gland blew up, with pain in my neck, ear and jaw.  Went to the Dr, my doc's  associate and he said I may have a stone in my salivary duct!! I didn't even know that that could happen.  He ordered a CT w/contrast of the rt side of my face...the CT found an aneurysm on the left side of my brain behind the eye, an enlarged lingual tonsil, a nodule in the Parotid gland, a hypodense mass in my thyroid and chronic sinusitis!!  I made appt with a neurosurgeon for the aneurysm, he says, it's small (4mm) have a different CT and we will watch it closely, surgery would be very complex and since it's small and smooth...we just watch it...WHEW!!  Went to ENT for the other things found on the original CT, lingual tonsils looked large but, healthy to her...she said we'll put the parotid thing on hold cuz, it's most likely an enlarged lymph gland, but, you need a Fine Needle Biopsy of the mass in your thyroid...had that done and no cancer...Whew again!!  Had a TSH and it was normal at .98.  Of course, I have read on here that normal isn't always normal, plus, I have almost every single symptom of Hypothyroidism...except one...I am not cold...I have to have the air conditioner on when it's 50 outside and I sweat like crazy!!  I also have dry eyes and extremely dry mouth, and many symptoms of Sjogren's Syndrome!!  Also, I have tingling in my hands and sometimes my feet too...and my hands and fingers are very swollen, painful, and on the first joint past the fingernail on my index fingers I have these nodules that are hard and very painful...possibly rheumatoid arthritis!!!  Believe it or not, I have kept my spirit up and I have not cried.....yet!!  But, I am going crazy waiting to see an Endo and a Rheumy...I just want to know what is going on and get some help with all these symptoms...my hands hurt so bad that it's painful just to hold the vacuum handle and wash the dishes...Oh, I'm also Diabetic, Type 2 on insulin...I won't even go into all the other stuff that is wrong with me, I have been on disability since 2000 and I'm only 56...

Is it possible to have hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism at the same time??
I have also joined the autoimmune forum, as I have learned that thyroid, Sjogren's, and Rheumatoid Arthritis are all autoimmune diseases...is anyone else out there that is having any or all of these health issues??? Thanks so much for reading this very long post and if you have any ideas, suggestions, or advice, or even a good joke...lay it on me...
You should have started an entirely new thread with that post...so many interesting things in it.

I wish I would have found this place back when I was going through my initial thyroid issues.  I spent numerous hours looking up information on hyperT, RAI, hypoT, medications, symptoms, symptoms of medications, etc.  So much information out there by doctors, but couldn't find much from actual sufferers.  This forum would have been so helpful to me while I was going through my roller coaster ride...to see how others handled the issues and such.  I'm lucky at this point that my roller coaster ride is slowing way way down, and I have an endo who's caring and open to MY suggestions for medications and changes.

Interesting thing I did find when I was doing my hours of Googling was a site run by an endocrinologist who stated that hypoT DOES NOT CAUSE WEIGHT GAIN.  He had to be joking or out of his mind.  Just about everything I read from sufferers were RAPID WEIGHT GAIN after RAI.  I just thank God that the endo who runs that site is not my endo.
You're probably right, I should have started a new thread...still kinda new here and learning the ropes...;)
LOL, you're a day newer than I am.

Hope I didn't come across as bossy...I was truly interested in all that you had to say, and seeing others' comments.

And here I thought I had it bad!  I feel for ya.
This is my first experience on this website. I didn't even know that these kinds of websites exsisted, I sure could have used this 5 years ago when I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer and had no one to talk to. I am still learning new things everyday about my disease and am completely amazed at how much it affects my body and my emotions. I am pretty sure that during the first couple of years I was a lunatic, just ask my ex-husband...lol   I am excited to be a part of this and I hope I can help others understand what they are going through.
Are you per chance on Yaz? I had mock hypo symptoms on Yaz. They were so bad, I was in and out of the dr. for about 3mo. She did test my thyroid and TSH was only 2.7. But she did say that Yaz can affect your adrenals. I don't know how that relates to thyroid symptoms but that's what happened to me. Perhaps switching OCP's will help.

Maybe it was just a quirk with me though since now I really am having thyroid problems 3-years later...?
Hi, I am Patty I was diagosed with Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism Autoimmune in March of this year. I was told nothing was wrong by one Dr and I found differrent sites like this one with lots of information and others like me. On a link from one web site I found this bill on Capitol Hill at the Thomas Library of Congress, HR 2084, Prevention, Awareness, and Research of Autoimmune Diseases Act of 2009.

I was very upset to find that I suffered needlessly and had to find a specialist on the web to take me without a referal. I found only one in this big city. The one Lab 84443 TSH is seriously out dated. I have backed tracked the disease with some of my symptoms to at least 3 years of suffering. I had to up the meds on my 90 day follow up visit and noticed a change for the good after two pills.

Please read the bill, I don't want others to suffer as much as I did. My brother is showing symptoms of Grave's disease and still suffering cause their labs have not been updated.
I just found this board after doing a few searches of low calcium after a TT (which I just had last Thursday, July 23rd).

I've had a roller coaster of a ride with my thyroid and now that it's gone I'm hoping things will start to improve or not. We shall see.

I'm just glad to have found somewhere to come to ask questions to people who are going or have gone through what I'm going through.
hi all--new as of today to the community and forum. i was recently diagnosed with graves and after research and a lot of soul searching and talking with my awesome fiance decided on RAI. i'm at peace with my decision, but am trying not to be scared about what's going to come for me in terms of dealing with the treatment and hypo to come. i'm so happy to have stumbled upon your supportive community, it is what i need for sure!
hi everyone!

i've had an underactive thyroid for many years; it was discovered when i was about 5 yrs old while i was in hospital for heart surgery; i just take the pills!
touch wood no problems, the odd change in dose but that's about it

i have just posted about the possible links between soya intake and effectiveness of thyroid medication as i've only learnt about this lately, this week in fact!
still doing my own research!
Thank you for such a warm welcome..Was dx Hashi and Hypo in June, also have a goiter with 11mm nodual waiting biopsy...Started 100mg a day thyroxine.   3/6/09
free T4- 7.9pmol/L Ref. Range (10.0-19.0)
TSH-144 mIU/L (0.50-4.00)
Anti-Thyroid Peroxidase > 1300 ( 286 (<60)
100mcg Thyroxine
dx Hashimoto
dx Hypo
Goiter
11mm Nodual  Dawn.

Please help me to understand the following test results:
TSH: <.10
T4, Free 1.7
Thyroid Scan:  Utilizing 253 micorcuries of the I-123 uptakes we 3.2% at 6 hours and negligible at 24 hours.  I do not see any significant in either lobe.  There is abnormal uptake very low and no sufficient acitivity seen in either lobe of the gland, indication hypothyroidism presumably from previous treatment for hyperthyrodism.  
WHEN I TOOK THIS ALL OF THE ABOVE TEST I HAD NEVER BEEN TREATED FOR ANY TYPE OF THYROID DISORDER.  I AM SO CONFUSED PLEASE HELP
Hi I am new to hypothyroidism. I found a lot of information on Mary Shomon's web site and about.com. She has written a few books which answered many of my questions. My labs are listed under new members, New to Hashimoto's/menopause disorder by me, Patty. Check it out
WELCOME to ALL!

C~
Hello, I am new here and am really researching on this thyroidism or Hypothyrodism sounds more like me...just @exactly what u wrote even being colder in the house....everyone else is freezing when I am still warm. I don't know if I have it how can I get a list of symptoms. I am just trying the process of elimination. I have been dx w/carpel tunnel in both hands and haven't worked since Feb.'04.How is that possible?My feet have some edema and right is totally numb. My left does weird things when I get out of tub..feels like a sharpened stick w/a spounge on the end.Hands and feet have both been numb since an ESI went wrong and I jumped so hard on table like being paddled(revived). I have severe pain in my back and neck(my neck does feel and look bigger on right than left,of course that could be my surgery of C5-C6 disectomy Feb.'06 and of course that was bc of ruptured petrusion and had another bone spur removed in my jaw around my ear), behind knees I suffer emmensly,and my Neuro. has found this venous angioma in my head(kind of creepy since I have my own disc and have seen it and it looks like a miniture snake in there...ohh) I am at my wits end...really have energy...can't slow down ...don't sleep but 2-4 hrs. a day..I think it would have to be hypo...instead of hyper...I don't know..I do need to say that I am numb in my upper lip...it is so weird that it was one good thing that came out of it...I had an abcessed tooth and didn't even feel it(the nurse couldn't believe it since it was so bad) I had let my teeth go because of being in so much pain that I couldn't see straight.I woke up the other night w/so much pain in my neck and jaw and ear...what is that?I have gained 50+lbs since starting Lyrica for Fibro and nerve damage,chronic pain...maybe I am overwhelming u....sawy..just moving today had to take a zanax to bring down spasm/tremor..just get bk w/me to see if I have any of the symptoms or could u just give me a list..if u don't mind or send me somewhere that would......Thank u so much..I would appreciate it so much..
Thyroid community thank you very much for everything !!!! you are geat !!!! I am a member from ovreseas where Endos are not good but  Labs are good and avaliable .....Thanks to this community i have learned a lot ....God bless you all .
what does it mean when your TSH on a blood test is high at 6.13 when the normal range is up to 4.5?  Is it hyper or hypo?  What to do for it?  other than mormal menopause symptons i have no other issues.  thanks in advance.
i have had blood tests in the past and TSH was high... then i repeat the test and it is normal.  Again it is high.  what is causing this and what to do?

thanks to all in advance.
Hi! I am wondering why I have to go through blood work every 6 weeks (I have ONE viable vein left! In the back of my hand. It hurts more and it leaves an UGLY bruise!!) My endo said it would take 9-12 months of treatment before he would know if the gland would need to be destroid. If it is responding to the meds what will keep the hormone levels in check when the meds are stopped? If I am going to have to take meds forever anyway, why not just "kill" it and put me on the pill a day routine? By the way, I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.The diagnosis was made about 7 months ago.
Just getting tired of the whole thing and want an EASY stop to all of it if there is one.
Thanks in advance if you can explain things a little better.
Hi all. I am a 47 year old woman that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 17 years ago. After years of adjusting my meds we finally got it right. I feel fine. I have to tell you tho, if you forget to take you medication you can turn into a mess fast. It is just one small pill a day. For the rest of your life. Accept it and do it. It is worth it. Tell your doctor if you start felling down or tired. Your body is always changing. Boy, have I learned that the hard way.  But I learned... On to better days.   I am glad that I am not the only one felling all this.  Thanks
I have been on tyroid treatment since March 2009 I feel alot better but not back to normal yet.  The endo. tells me my levels are good but I still have the brain fog some days.  I have pressure behind my eyes and the bridge of my nose this makes me feel dizzy alot.  I have also had the feeling of drainage in my throat for about a year now and I have been on several rounds of antibotics.  I would just like to know if the above mention could be linked to hypothriodism.  Any comments would be greatly apperciated.
hi there,

i found my way to this board due to a recent visit with a rheumatologist/autoimmune specialist who is testing me for autoimmune thyroid disease--which one exactly, i'm not sure, but i suspect hashimoto's.

during the past year, i have experienced the most bizarre constellation of symptoms with the most worrisome being fatigue, vision problems, neurological symptoms and crippling headaches.  i have had 5 MRIs, an MRA, a lumbar puncture, a ton of blood tests--except thyroid--and the only thing that has come up abnormal is my vitamin D level.  it was also discovered that i have a herniated c5-6 disc which my neurologist told me was the cause of all my problems, so i went through 6 months of physical therapy to help correct that problem.  it was pretty much a waste of my time.

i went to see a neuro-ophthalmologist in october to have my eyes checked since i was having abnormal pupil dilation and severe eye pain, and he noted optic nerve artery inflammation and referred me to the above-mentioned rheumatologist.  she talked to and examined me, felt my thyroid and has sent me for a battery of blood tests and a thyroid ultrasound which i had last week.  i just posted the results on the main board which revealed some heterogeneity and 2mm cyst and another 4mm lesion or cyst.

at any rate, i am almost afraid to allow myself to believe that we may finally be on the right track after being led all over the map since january 2009.  i know treating thyroid disease isn't an easy road, but i will be so grateful to actually be in treatment as opposed to dying on the vine in my reclining chair with my little girl asking me "when is mama going to get better."

thanks for "listening" to my story.

best wishes,
binx
I am new here.  I have had a very tender area on my neck when I press on it.  It is on the right side I suppose in the thyroid area.  I believed it was a lymp node - but not swollen.  My doctor sent me to ultrasound and waiting for results.  Has anyone had the same symptom of tenderness on the side below the Adams applemwhen they press on it?
FranTucson
     I am still trying to find out what is wrong w/me. It's been a while. I posted back in Sept. and I know have noticed this defined lump on the right side of my neck and it is right under my ear, but seems to extend downward. It is sore and tender. I feel like it is a lymph node, but it feels like a round stone in there or something. It is hard and it makes my throat feel kinda sore. The back of my neck has hurt for quite some time and always felt it was the surgery I had on my C5-C6, so never thought @ it being connected w/my thyroid. I used to be so thin until I started taking Lyrica and down the road a bit to 2 yrs. later I have began to wonder if I don't have a thyroid problem. Now, as I have read there are so many different kinds. Which am I? I have gained, but am sure or I thought I was sure it was the Lyrica now it seems it might be something else. I hurt in my legs...all the time and you can't touch them bc I will make a sound of pain. It is terrible when your son snuggles w/u and u have pain.
     OMG...I just read where u posted @ pressing up under ur adams apple and if it was sore. I pressed there and jumped...omg..I have a definate thyroid problem..don't I? What should I do? I suppose to go to the Internist again and have bloodwork next wk. and maybe he'll see me. Only thing is he is so busy since he is the only one around for 100 miles..hmm? Well, I just have to ask him and get this going. I have been down for some time now and in the bed tooo much. I am so tired of it. I want to get some of my life back. As u can see by my little pic. I used to perform on stage...and loved every minute of it. I worked in Nashville, TN at Opryland..a show callled Country Music USA..OH,I miss being there sometimes. I love having a family and especially a mother. I really love that..it is so rewarding. My son,my youngest 12,we watch a lot of movies. I love that time...have a lot of fun and laughter. I need that and so does he. My hands are giving out for now. I will be back. My throat feels icky and a bit swollen on the right. I will be so glad when my life gets back to normal. You take care and I will be back to check on ur progress...and always..GOD BLESS.. Karen
hi i was diagnose with hypothyroid after my subtotal thyroidectomy last 2 years ago. I have been taking levothyoxine for a couple of months now and still not working for me, i often feel depressed, low in energy and ofcourse over weight. I went from 100 to 50 mcg, then my FT4 results was high and my endo suggested to stop the medication, after a month of no medication, my endo req for another FT4 it showed normal, i was surprise because i felt far from normal even worst, now with no medication!
It is a struggle for me everyday since i often feel tired, and there's mood swings and fatigue. I don't know how my blood test (FT4) can be normal when i'm not really feeling ok.
Please help out i feel really lost and i'm losing faith with my doctor, I know there are some really helpful people here that could give some advice, i would be very much appreciated.

thanks and god bless
Hi and welcome!  If you wouldn't mind, could you please post this post on your own thread so we everyone can see and give their opinions to you? That way it will be easier for everyone to see and answer!
AGain welcome!!!  :)
Really good and informative post,as per implementing new strategies and sharing views regarding health disorders.Thanks for the recommendation.
I am new here, and just read through all the post everyone put on this thread. I am excited to become a member of what seems to be an amazing community. I am a paramedic, so I have a some medical knowledge, but all this hypothyroid stuff and lab values is neww to me, but I would be glad to help out and answer any other questions if I am able. And I would appreciate any help and advice with the lab values and hypothyroidism that I can get. I also found out I have a vitamin D defiecency. I have gained lots of weight recently and just felt like crap. I work 3 24 hour shifts a week in my job, so being tired is part of that, but here lately-its been hard to jsut make it through the day.I've been depressed and can even though I'm so tired I have a hard time sleeping.
I have a good new doctor now, so Ihope things straighten out.
I hope I am able to make some new friends here and look forward to chatting and getitng to know everyone and hearing advice and everyones personal stories.
Thanks for sharing and offering all the advice.
Heidi
I am new to this site, but I feel this community will help me learn to deal with my recently diagnosed hypothyroidism.  I am a college professor with a husband and six children.  I was diagnosed with this disorder 2 weeks ago so it's pretty new.  I expected to be all better after a couple of weeks of meds, but I am slowly figuring out that this will take time and I must be patient.

The muscle pain, the sleep irregularities, the mood swings, etc... are all obviously a part of this problem.  I am so glad that the pain and emotions I am having are not abnormal.

Thanks all.

Lisa
i had my RAI two weeks ago.. and now i haven't any blood test done yet? i never took my hormone medication also? is it ok? i have lots of unusual feeling after then,, and so i know im having hypothyroidism.. the feeling of sleepiness, groggy all the time.. i always hunger for food doing nothing but to eat and eat, do less! what should be the things done or monitored  after the RAI? blood test or what?  do i supposed to follow up my doctor,, i went through whole body scan,, and my result is this FUNCTIONING THYROID TISSUE REMNANTS IN THE ANTERIOR NECK... somebody gave the comment its cool,, still i welcome your great opinions either.. thanks  
Wow, I have just read many of your posts and I feel so much better just to know there are so many people who are going through the same things as me.  I have some sort of mass on the left side of my thyroid and it makes swallowing hard and feels just like you all mention that someone is pushing on my throat.  I am taking thyroid meds and it has been increased twice in the last year.  I am super scared, I am going for an ultrasound but I dont know when yet.  Of course the first thing that enters my mind is cancer and I am a single mom to one great son so I just can't be sick!, But from reading some posts I am comforted a bit although still worried.  I hope it will be something that can be fixed!  
with hope from Susan
Hello I am new too - I felt like I am the only person who feels so rough but I can see that there are a lot of us and I would love to help anyone if I can - thank you for this wonderful site. :))))
I am new to this forum...just a few weeks.  But since exchanging emails with smilerdeb:)
I have made the decision to go forward with RAI.  Just exchanging thoughts with someone who 'gets it' -- understanding what you're going through is most helpful.  
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this page, and was just diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer yesterday. I'm 17, and scared out of my mind. Reading your posts has made me feel better to know I'm not the only one going through this!
Hi I just joined you all today. I was on another forum and lori575 mentioned you may have some input on the new formulated Armour. I just switched from Synthroid 3 weeks ago.....my TSH went down to .23 and my free t3s are a little high. I feel awful. spent a week in bed barely moving .....I thought i was getting hypo.again. and it turned out to be the opposite. Help. Is this new formulation bad? I would not know ......should i go back to synthroid and cytomel. Help. I will not meet my Endo until the end of the month. and my primary pretty much got offended i switched meds in the first place, and that i was too informed an obsessed with the thyroid......"you may come across as a problematic patient" he said. I didn't know being educated and trying to feel better was so bad. Wow. I see this is going to be a ride. I do not plan on returning to that office. Can you help.
I am the menber of this community since many yrears. I hardly visit this forum as fing and feel that the issue of hypothyrodism is insignificant. when i was diagnosed hype, my doctor told me that you have the simplest disease. easu to treat. I am 79 and i think I I was dignosed at the age of 45. In fact i dignosed the disease mysef. My mother was hypothyrodic. shw was diagnoses at the age of 75. For all her life she was ill. At that time awareness of thyroid was nil. Test t4, and tsh were not available . we had to depend on basal metabolic test.This test was also not confirmative. thyroxin sodium was not available. thyroid extract was avaiable  which was not of standard qulity.That time to diagnose and treat hypothyrodism was difficult.
Now you get t4,t3, TSH, and you know whether you need thyroxin sodium. You tirrate the dose and continue taking the drug throut your life. I am taking 100microgram of thyroxin sodium since i was diagnosed. My daughter whi is now 50 is also taking this dose since20 years She is oncologist in USA. I wrote this long post just assure new patient that once correct dignosis is done and you go adjust the dose of thyroxine sodium and take the drug every day. get the test done every year. It is a replacement therapy. the drug should be taken for life time. Most of the patients will not have any complications.  On rare cases, your test results are normal but you have symptoms of hypo. I think there is no harm to try the drug for a mont or so to find out whther you have thyroid deficiency or not. I am sorry for this lengthy post.
is something wrong with email system?

I got email to say someone had replied to my post but when I looked there was nothing there!  

this was my post
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Thyroid-Disorders/selenium-or-additional-T3-/show/1327376
Is it common to get numbness and tingling (pins and needles) in the hands and feet and sore muscles ALL of the time with a thyroid condition?  
Just a quick hello again and god bless all of us as we struggle with this disease of the thyroid. I have had trouble since the age of 21 and am now 48 and am still a mess even after having a thyroidectomy. My whole family is so tired of hearing my troubles that it is nice to be able to vent to people who understand. I pray every night that the good lord will just heal me of this. I so want to feel good and live a productive life but right now I am a mess.....Bless you all
everyone, i know how bad the bad days can feel. there are days when i cry and am unable to stop. same goes with smiling at times. im so tired of the ups and downs...the constant adjustment of meds, the endo's thinking i just need depression meds...which i take. the lack of empathy or compassion from others and the "your always sick" from those around me. im greatful there are others that understand. im soooo tired...
I am 10 days post op for totatl thyroidectomy, and feel dreaful.
I cannot sleep, cannot swallow without gaagging cannot drink water without gagging and although I am on the calcium tabs I have tingling and pins and needles in hands and crampy feelibgs in feet and calfs. Did have a prob with a swollen voice box that affected the airway, and maybe that is why I have not setlled down. Have been taking thyroxine for 18months alraedy so that should not be the cause. When I get the tinglings my veins become really sore as well (I came out without a single unused vein and was black and blue but again if that was what was needed at the time -ok).Please do not say this will take months , if not forever, to get sorted as some seem to be suggesting.
Hi, I would like to know if anyone can tell me info on HASHITOXOCIS?

I'm a mother of a 19 year old, male (AJ) who was just recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism.  I am a very patient, understanding and loving mom who only wants the best for AJ.  I am a firm believer in natural holistic medicine and that is the approach we are currently using.  He is currently taking Thyroid USP Powder (porcine) 30 mg capsules and even though there has been a improvement in his memory, his mood swings are still quite difficult to handle.   We love him and we understand that this is not normal behavior, but I just wanted to find out if his anger outbursts and paranoia are normal for this disease.  Also, he does have giggling episodes occasionally during the day and we wanted feedback to see if this is normal reaction to the underactive thyroid or could it possibly be another disease masked by the thyroid?  AJ has only been taking this medication for approximately 3 weeks and we have seen noticeable improvements in other areas, but we are concerned that it could be something else .  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
Hi Everyone,
I wanted to share the little info I have concerning Tirosint and Synthroid.
In the last year I had called the company twice.I have dye/filler allergies and  Tirosint doesn't work as well as the Synthroid did for me. Tirosint is made out of the country.The gel capsule is made from beef and pork and  contains 4 different oils. I'm sorry I don't have the list I was given in front of me, put I remember coconut oil is at least one of the oils.I also had an allergic reaction to Armour, which is also made with pork and fillers.
Although Synthroid is white, it is made with tartrazine which many people are allergic to. I don't have any answers, but hope this may shed a little light for someone else that is having problems. Thank you.
I beg to differ with you regarding the ingredients of Tirosint.  There are only 4 ingredients; no beef or pork....... nor do they contain 4 different oils.

The gelcaps contain only 4 ingredients; those are T4 (levothyroxin sodium), glycerin, gelatin and water.  Nothing beef or pork there; no coconut oil.

Being a gelcap, Tirosint has no fillers/binders and is dissolved/absorbed better than pill forms.  

I've been on Tirosint since shortly after it came on the market in 2009 and have done great on it.  

Armour IS made from porcine thyroid, which is the active ingredient, not the fillers/binders.  

By the same token, not all Synthroid is white; different dosages are different colors.

Maybe you need to go back and study the medications a bit closer, as it seems you might be a bit confused.
Hypothyroidism(under active thyroid gland) requires a replacement therapy.He has to receive enough thyroxine. Glaxo Smithkline pharmaceuticals( a multinational firm) have thyroxine sodium tab as Eltroxin in 50 and 100 Micrograms strength. It would be better if you use a stanndard treatment for this problem..