Thyroid Disorders Community
Was told 4.8 TSH is normal??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Was told 4.8 TSH is normal??

I've read different ranges for "normal" TSH... but most seem to say that as of 2003 the new range is .3 to 3.0..however, my Dr. tested my TSH monday (late morning) and it came back 4.8 and he says it's normal...even though I tested previously at 11.25 a few days earlier in the evening.  I'm confused!
Did the doctor have an explanation? Was there treatment?
the new line of thinking is that you want your TSH (especially for people who tend to have thyroid issues) to be below 2.  i am about to see a new endocrinologist for the very same reason you posted...  my other endo wasn't all that concerned with my TSH being 5.12 and that, to me, is not ok.  i want someone who is a progressive thinker when it comes to treatment and diagnosing and he didn't impress me with his lack of interest in my obviously screwed up levels (i have hashimoto's thyroiditis and my antibodies are sky high as well).

good luck!  push your doctor for answers.  call back, go in, do whatever you have to to get answers you need!  and do research!!!  there is SO much about my labwork (for thyroid and for other conditions i have currently) that was unaddressed by my doctors during visits until i went home and did the research and realized i wasn't ok afterall!  i have had to call doctors up on numerous occasions and say "my results were XXX and i am reading that this is problem.  what can we do to fix this?".  only after i push do the doctors actually take some necessary action.  it sucks, but you really do have to be your own best advocate and take action for yourself, because some doctors just won't do it unless you push them to think progressively and thoroughly.