Thyroid Disorders Community
Water & Synthroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Water & Synthroid

My question is, "Do you HAVE to take your synthroid with WATER?" I HATE water, it makes my stomach feel so empty and gives me awful cotton mouth. I ususally sleep very late(noon) so I wake up at 9am and take my medicine then return to sleeping. So waking up early is bad enough and then to have to drink a glass of water on top of that is very difficult. Can I take it with Tea or flavored water, like Gatorade, Vitamin water or something of that nature? Thanks for your help! Porsche
Tags: irritable
Water does not interfere with synthroid absorption where other liquid might and juices definitely.  You don't have to drink a full glass of water, a few swallows or just enough to get it down, that's all I do. The full glass is to prevent the little pill from getting stuck in the throat and chocking.

Another way to take it is to let it absorb under your tongue.

No Tea or flavored water, like Gatorade, Vitamin water, juices, etc.
I would only like to add, that the recommendation for drinking a full glass of water is advised with certain medications- as it is ideal that the medication reaches your stomach, as apposed to being dissolved in your esophagus and causing irritation.If any medication states, "Drink a full glass of water"-I would do just that.