Thyroid Disorders Community
Water retention

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Water retention

Help!!! My legs are filling up with water.  I take a water pill.  What's up with the major water retention?  Any ideas out there?  Other than waking up 5 times tonight to go to the bathroom?  My ankles are starting to look like oranges.  Not that they were all that shapely to start with.  : )  But they're starting to feel a bit tight. Any ideas?  I think I'll start with some green tea.
You really need to get to the doctor pronto! It could be a sign your kidneys are failing or you have lymphodema...not a good thing either way. It is not a normal thing and I would urge you to go to the doctor.
Cheers
Are you hypothyroid?  My ankles looked like I was 10 1/2 months pregnant before I started on thyroid meds.  It all disappeared once I started on levo.
How much magnesium are you taking in a day?
I got the swelling in the legs and ankles (looked like the elephant man) when I was hyper and on anti-thyroid meds heading hypo.
Get to your Docs....fluid pills wont help you with this one.
Your body is retaining too much fluid and should be checked.
I know I asked someone here one time what to take and they told me celery capsules.
They did help and they made me go to the bathroom a lot but you still need to get any fluid retention checked, especially if you are really swollen.
Mine were like that for about a week and then went down on their own.
Still dont know to this day why or how it happened and never had it since.
You should also get checked for anemia, which can cause swelling/edema.
I drank some green tea before bedtime and you can imagine what I was doing last night.  It seemed better today.  My feet aren't tight and my ankles look better.  I had a massage and Jennifer said there was still a bit of fluid around my calves, so she massaged it up to where it's supposed to be a bit easier for my body to deal with it and told me to sit with my feet up tonight.  I'll talk to the dr tomorrow and see if she is concerned.

I started on my meds last week.  It's been seven days today and frankly today was the first day I didn't feel so hypo.  I got thru work beautifully up to early this afternoon and then one minute I was typing and the next my head was headed for the desk, hard.  I started to nod off just that fast.  So I got up and walked around the plant and felt pretty good again.  Nearly gave myself a whiplash.  Told my daughter if my head had hit the desk that hard, I'd be going to her for an x-ray instead of a massage.  : )  How rude.

Taking 400 mg of magnesium a day.  It is part of my Calcium vitamins.  Cal 1000, Mag 400, Zinc 25? (not sure about that last one).  But will be the first to admit, I got lazy over the weekend and didn't take that particular vitamin.  

Thanks for the advice.