Thyroid Disorders Community
Weight Gain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Weight Gain

I am curious to find out if anyone else out there who has Hyperthyroidism if they have had any problems with weight gain instead of weightloss?  For a solid year and a half before the doctors finally diagnosed me they couldn't figure out why I was gaining weight.  It would be a couple pounds here and there but it has added up over time to almost a total of 100 pounds of weight gain.  They couldn't figure it out because I rarely ate, so they thought it was some of the meds that I have to be on which one of their side effects was weight gain, but not at the drastic extent as mine has ended up being over the past 2 to 3 years.  After I finally told my doctors either they figured out what the hell was wrong with me or I would find doctors that could (btw I have new doctors now) the light went on and they decided to finally test my thyroid.  Outcome ended up being Hyperthyroidism.  Which they said absolutely could not be the cause for my weight gain. So I took it upon myself to find new doctors that would actually help.  I know there is a very small percentage of Hyper patients that actually gain weight instead of losing...but finally since I have different doctors I am starting to lose weight extremely slowly.  LOL  I'm just curious if there is anyone else out there who has ran into a similar problem with their weight and what they have been doing to help reverse the weight gain.  Thanks in advance.  ; )
I havent had your problem although weeight has been a problem for me.I have lose about 10 lbs and now I am stuck at this current weigh.Hang in there the weight will come off but we just have to work a little harder at it.
Love Venora
I have been hyper for a few years that I know of and I am overweight. When I mentioned to friends that my lab results were hyper they looked at me and said "You mean hypo" and I had to say no. Nobody would think it. But I finally had my first appointment with the doctor today and have a walnut size nodule in my right thyroid. I'm in the first steps of being treated but I am about 50 pounds over weight. I'm so hungry all the time and if I don't eat I get very grouchy and sick. Since I sit down all the time for work I just assumed that was the cause of my weight gain... maybe it still is? I'll find out more over the next few weeks
Yes, I am hyper, I gained weight. It is hard to lose them, I am still working on it, so far I am losing the battle.   The book said, a small % of hyper do gain weight.
i'm also hyper, and i gain weight on and off..i weight about 85 and then go up to 91, 93,95 always around there never change, and then come back down to 85..no lower then that though. now i'm almost four months pregnant and my weight right now is 91...doctor im under weight for being pregnant but what can i do, i eat as much as i can...hopefully later on in pregnancy i can weight a little more..i think i will.. may god bless you with love..
I'm artificially hyper (high dose of Synthroid post cancer treatment) with a TSH of about 0.9 and I've put on 20 lbs since my original surgery 4 years ago.  I never had a weight problem before my surgery/RAI/treatment.  Sigh.
How did they diagnose this HYPERthyroidism? Not with the TSH I hope!? Sounds like hypopituitary or secondary hypo to me: LOW TSH, Low Free T3 and Free T4. This happens so often so please get a copy of your results and make sure the right tests were done:

Free t3 (HIGH is hypo, low-normal and low is hypo)
Free t4 (HIGH is hypo, low-normal and low is hypo)
TSH
graves antibodies
AND
both Hashi antibodies (yes you can have both!)
Free testosterone
estro and progest
do u know something abt hypo thyroid. do hypothyroid patient gain wait even they dont eat fatty food.
I was just looking for something like this on the web. I was just told that I have a hyperthyroid. Over the past 2 years, I have gained about 25-30 pounds. Used to always be fairly slim, and now I am overweight. I attributed it to eating junk food and not exercising, but I never really believed that I ate that much junk food to result in 25-30 pounds of weight gain. I think some of the weight gain may be due to the hyperthyroid, but now I worry that if I take antithyroid medicine, I will gain even more!
Yes, Hypo people (85% of them)gain weight, Hyper people (15% of them) gain weight. I am one of the 15%.  nothing work for me so far, but I am working on it...
yes i was hyper 218 lbs went up 245 lbs
had treatment now im at about 275 lbs cant move
have to many painfull spasms. good luck
I gained 15 pounds before I started realizing I had a problem and now dropped that plus 16 more for 31 total pounds.  I read somewhere that a lot of hyper people actually gain weight before they lose it.  I'd love to lose another 30 tho...ha ha!

I just started a temporary tx of tapazole until I can get in for my TT.
I had 3/4 of my thyroid removed 8 yrs ago..When I had the surgery because of nodules I wieghed 145 I'm 5 foot 9 and a female...After the first 5 months after surgery I gained 75 lbs..The docotor said It was what I was eating (BULL)...Now 8 yrs later I have three more nodules on my thyroid and wiegh 245...I have thyroid test and the doctors say It's working fine ,how can that be??????. I'm 46 and give up I guess I'll just be fat for the rest of my life..Thanks for listining.....
My hyper started in May 2008 and I couldnt hold anything in my stomach..My tsh was 0.003. I dropped 70lbs in 5 months. started methimazole and 10 of those pounds came back quickly..so I fight everyday not to eat a bunch of stuff even though I am starving. I do eat I try to make healthier choices..alot of this weight I believe is water weight..I swell like a balloon..my feet.. ankles
I am so glad I found this site. I have had hyper for 3 1/2 years with a lot of weight gain. Opted early to go totally natural. I have always been very natural in my health choices. Been semi vego for 10 years now. My naturapath looked at my blood work and could tell by my kidney reading that I REALLY do eat well. Finally someone believes me when I tell her "I don't eat much", well actually I don't eat like a sparrow either, just normal healthy choices and portion sizes. My cholestrol is great and so is sugar and blood pressure. My naturapath has given me herbal decoctions on and off for three years now. My levels go back to normal and i feel great when I am on them but my 7 nodules don't shrink. Its so expensive to do the healthier alternative and so much more effort and yet they didn't shrink! taking a break from the herbs right now. My last normal blood test was 2months ago. My neck throbs sometimes and eyes looks so tired even though I am eating healthier than ever. My sister pulled me aside and said my eyes look like a holocaust survivor's. Unfortunately my body looks like a blob!! Everytime i am about to give up I somehow find a new motivation from somewhere. I read about a link between vitilgo (pigment problems), b12 absorption and hyperthyroid. If thats the case  I may have had this for 20 years because I have both. I never had a weight loss problem in the last 20 years though. Worked hard to maintain my weight at where it was all my adult life though.I am now waiting on a natural drug that I researched and ordered to see if it will help shrink the nodules but not put more weight on. If it does work I will come back and let you guys know. Somehow i think it would be better to have hypo. At least I would have a reason for my symptoms and empathy from my doc and friends.I wish they would come in here and see these messages. Maybe it would encourage them to recognise and research a new kind of thyroid condition such as ours.
I have huge ankles too. I can put on so much weight in my legs in a matter of a couple of weeks that my jeans don't fit overnight but my shirts are still ok. I think your right about the fluid. Might be a lymphatic link there. Anyone else with these symptoms?
I was just diagnosed and have to go for 2 ct scans.  I'm pretty scared but also pretty confused.  I was sure I had hypo, but the results were hyper.  I would lose tons of weight during pregnancy and about a month after having my kids I balooned.  I never changed my diet and I was nursing.  I seem to want to huver around the 233lbs mark for some reason, I don't go up, I don't go down.  I just find it strange!
Hi I am 42 year old was diagnosed with Thryoid Ca that mets to the bones lung and skull, I had a TT in June 2008 and followed by a high dose of RAI.  Then in Sept a had a hip surgery due to the cancer.. I had a second dose of high RAI in January 2009 and have to repeat in six months.. I have monthly zometa for my bones... I gained about 35 pound since all of this and cant seem to loose it Iam afraid that I will gain more.. What can one due.. I need advise tooo...
I was HYPER prior to RAI and because I was on anti-thyroid meds, to block the thyroid...I gained 16 kgs.
I went from 55kgs to 71kgs.
My levels have now been stable a few months and I weight 64.1 kgs and havent tried losing the weight...just ate healthy.
As the levels stabalise, so does the weight but remember one thing..........
The weight you had PRIOR to diagnosis is HYPER weight and you may never get back down to that weight.
Many lose track of that theory and as long as I have quality of life , I dont mind the few extra kgs as long as it doesnt interfere with my health.
Good Luck :)
I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism last year. My symptoms began around March, but I wasn't formerly diagnosed until the beginning of August. In March of last year I weighed 130 lbs. I have gained 30 lbs since then and have tried to get it out with diet and excercise, which didn't work long. When I got a dose of the radioactive iodine I began to slowly lose weight. Unfortunately... the iodine didn't thoroughly kill the thyroid gland like they said might happen. So now I've gained all my weight back. You aren't the only one out there and I'm glad I'm not either.

Also. I want to know why some people gain weight with hyperthyroidism. I wonder if there is a common link somehow.
I just had thyroid removed in Dec. 08 with papillary carcinoma.  Doctors have adjusted me to .125 Synthroid with a TSH level of .22 (hyper), but I have gained 25 pounds in the last 3 months after losing 40 pounds last year between July-Dec.  I complained to the doctor, but was told it was probably from stress - baloney!  I have two other friends at church who also had thyroid removed, are in hyper state and gaining weight even with massive amounts of exercise.  It is depressing and we want to find a cure.  We started a support group at church called "We're Not Crazy" because we knew that our symptoms were more than "depression" prior to doctors finding our thyroid diseas and we know that there is more to our weight gain than "stress".
I just wanted to ask what made you conclude that you were hyper?  Was it the TSH test?  Or were you also exhibiting hyper symptoms?  How can you be sure that weight gain was a hyper symptom rather than a hypo symptom, unless you have test data for the most important thyroid hormones  (free T3 and free T4), that shows very high levels of these hormones?  

I'm really curious about this because so many times doctors decide your are hyper based only on TSH results that are in the low part of the range, and yet there are no overt hyper symptoms.  This frequently results in patients who are actually still hypo, with all the  wonderful symptoms such as fatigue, low metabolism, etc.
I have Graves and suffered with hyperthyroidism until I had RAI and TT last year.
BEFORE RAI, I gained 16kgs from Carbimazole.
I started off at 55kgs , went to 71kgs and now 12 months later, I weight just over 60kgs.
Once your levels stabilise, the weight starts to come off.
I dont eat junk or pre-packaged food, I eat fresh fruit, meat, fish and vegetables.
I avoid milk..only for coffee as basically I found that it 'turned my stomach' after RAI (iced coffee).
My TSH is 0.677  I have all symptoms of Hyperthroid except I have gained weight.  I am also B12 deficient with a level of 136.Starting shots today.  I have 2 lower lumbar fusions and 1 cervical fusion.  I have alot of issues to deal with.  I want my life back I want to feel good.  I will settle for feeling so so.
Look this is my case. I was having a battle with my mind. I felt like I was losing-it (mind). Everything bothered me to the point of withdrawal, from family, friends, my husband and children even my hobbies. I was a crying all the time mess! I wasn't sleeping but 1-2 hours in the night and would sleep all day to make up for lost sleep. I knew that something wasn't right with me, totally out of my character. I would mention these things to my doc. This would only lead us into a decussion of depression. Finally a nodule in my throat appeared. I went to my doc. they ran some test and sent me for more observations. I had to have surgery two days later because my thyriod(partual) had ruptured and there was no time to waste. Well needless to say I was hurt because my doc. wasn't listening to me when I had previous meetings with them. Now, it's been 3.5 years since surgery and 75 lbs later. I don't take a supplement beacause my doc. don't think that I need it. I have started to regain my energy lil-by-lil, I eat very small portions, I stay away from sugarie drinks but still can't lose any more than 1-2 lbs at a time. I become discouraged and stop working out but soome come back to my senses and try once again. Can anyone tell me what they may have done to lose their weight and to keep it off. I just 40 something years young and I'm hurting over this terrible weight grain. I glad to say that I don't have a depression promblem but looking at my once "shapely" body now "round" one could easily become depressed.
Please post whatever thyroid test data you have, along with reference ranges, so that members can provide the best response.
I lost 55 pounds before being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.I almost lost my mind and the bathroom issues kept me from leaving my home. I was prescribed methimazole 10 mg M-F and 5 mg on weekends. It stopped the bathroom issues to the point of having to take strong laxatives to relieve constipation. My new endicrinologist?) took me off the meds for thyroid scan.I was able to maintain my weight loss by sticking to a strict low carb diet until now I have gained 10 pounds in a week I don't get the results of my scan until 10/05/10.I feel full all the time and only eat when I have too.I am scared the weight gain will cause me to have to start my diabetes meds again which I had been able to discontinue after the weight loss. I am so worried about this weight gain and the results of my scan. nerves are still shaky. There has got to be an answer.
FINALLY! I've been googling hyperthyroidism and weight gain for the last two months since I was diagnosed. It's comforting to know that I'm not so atypical that I can't find anyone to relate too..in other words...I'm not crazy! Yeah!!! Hang in there fellow atypical weight gainers! Hang in there.

I was diagnosed in August. I don't have my hands on my readings but will post later. After a thyroid scan by an endo I was diagnosed with ophthalmic graves.  I've been extremely healthy/active up until this time last year where I started to slow down and get extremely tired.

I'm two timing my doctors. I have a "traditional" doctor and a "natural" doctor. I'm concerned with accurately monitoring the disease while trying alternative ways to manage/cure it.  I've started to eat smaller more nutrient meals - less calories;less sugar.  I've also given up gluten including corn and rice.  Well since I've started this new meal plan, I have much much much more energy but I've gained 10lbs.  It sure is frustrating to watch my family/friends eat sugary candy bars, sodas, rich foods and I'm left paddling around for the sugar free no gluten alternative.  And I'm STILL gaining weight.  S-i-g-h

I asked my doctor if longterm use of diet pills could have contributed to the disease. I've always been concerned with my weight and have worked hard to stay small (crazy exercise and diet pills).  But she said no, normally hypers gain weight before loosing it. I'm thinking okay but I've fought to keep my weight down for the last 10/15 years. Pretty sure I've always had the disease but recent stress/lifestyle has helped to  exacerbate it. There has to be more to this weight gain and hyperthyroidism.  I agree with you guys, it has nothing to do with diet or exercise. Don't get me wrong, it's the right choice to stay healthy but there has to be another connection to the weight gain... maybe blood sugar levels?  I'm scheduled for a liver scan today (my liver tests were bad) maybe that has something to do with it? I'll keep you guys posted with test results.

My plan is to stay off the meds as long as I'm "healthy" enough. I have my energy back but I have occasional dizzy spells and crazy migraines. I'm hoping it doesn't mean the diease is progressing....
I am taking Elroxin for the past 25 years and since then gained a lot of weight.  I have heard something new today , but am not sure if this is the way you sgould take Eltroxin.  Four hours before you take your pills dont eat anything also 7 hours after dont drink coffee or eat bread, it will enterfere with the working of the Eltroxin.  What do you think  ??

I am tired
I gain weight

What is there to do  ???
Jesus I have just been told that I have hyperthyroidism and over the last few years I have gained 70lbs and my doctors keeps telling me I'm fat and my food/exercise ratio must be incorrect and he doesn't believe that cycle everywhere, do aqua Aerobics, swim once a week and play badminton weekly I have been on a 800cal a day diet and still not lost anything my doctor tells me my thyroid disorder is because I'm fat is he just being a knob or am I a fat lazy lump coz that's how i feel email ***@****
My 17 year old daughter was diagnosed a couple of months ago with Graves. Initial symptom was weight gain- thought she had insulin resistance like her sister. TSH was almost nil.She is stressing so much because she has gained weight-still doing so. Anyone lost weight after the ablation was done? Doing the uptake next week and then ablation to follow. She has a shellfish allergy. Docs are assuring RAI will not be a problem. Anyone with shellfish allergy have a problem with the RAI? Thanks Hang in there everyone.
Hey, wow, i thought i was the only one that was gaining weight with hyper,,,
anyways my symptoms have always been there, and got worst after having my son almost 3 yrs ago, finally i decided to get it checked out, and all the test confirmed that i was hyper[i thought i was hypo},,,my doctors can't seem to give me much help or answers,, i live in trinidad and tobago, my docs here don't seem to know a lot on Hypo or Hyper throid disorder,
i have so many symptoms, weight gain i am almost 275lb right now, lately i have developed really really bad joint pain, i feel like kicking the crap out of someone, and period is messed up, headaches, i can't sleep,
i'm so glad that its not all in my head, i hate feeling like this,
i just wanna be normal again,,
i have a appointment with a new doc next week, i  will keep u guys posted,,
If you will click on the green button (Post a Question) at the top of the page and start a new thread under your own name, it will get lots more notice and response.  
I was diagnosed 3 months ago with hyper.... and I am so confussed. Over the past few years I have gained about 60 pounds but they say with hyper.... you lose weight. I am glad Im not the only one who has gained weight for no reson. I am hoping they get my thyroid under controll so maybe I can lose weight. grrrrrrrr
How were you diagnosed with hyperthyroid?  What other symptoms do you have besides weight gain?  Please post your thyroid test results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report.
I've been told I have graves disease..I'm not on any medication and I've gained 110 pounds the past 3 years..are you not on any medication for the thyroid either? I am sick to death of gaining and feel totally alone..I just gained another 3 pounds in one week. :(
With Graves disease you usually lose weight due to being hyperthyroid.  Weight gain problems are usually associated with calorie intake/exercise levels, low metabolism related to low thyroid hormone levels, insulin resistance, or PCOS.  If you are sure that there is no calorie/exercise issue, then since you mention some type of possible thyroid issue, I suggest that you should start there.  You need to get tested for the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and T4), along with TSH.  I also suggest that you should test for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin.  If you will get those done and post results and reference ranges shown on the lab report, then members will be glad to help interpret and advise further.  

Also, do you have any other symptoms besides the weight gain?
I am now 40 pounds overweight and it keeps creeping up everymonth.  I am on Synthroid for HYPO because of my symptoms....My doc is worried of the side effects as my blood levels (at least TSH) show Hyper

Free T4
Free T3-Both within normal range
TSH is like .01 (Hyper by med terms)
BUT

My total T3 is 84 (on the low side)

It seems the higher the synthroid doseages the more HYPO my symptoms become

I take 50mcg daily and have been on it 3 months and gained 12 pounds.

I went to an Endo and they said everything is within normal range (before my Family Dr, agree to try Synthroid)

I am post menopausal (at age 47) which is a little strange and not like anyone else in my family...

Cholesterol is through the roof bBUT has come down since being on Synthroid a little....

I am at a loss-i eat and not always healthy but i do not eat often or large portions...i have always been a light grazer...my worst habit is i use butter...everything else is relattively decent..not hardly ANY fast food or chips...I do eat a good portion of bread but according to my fitbit i am buring about 2200 calories a day and i take in anywhere of 12-1800 a day....while that should not mean weight loss...it doesnt sound like i should be gaining weight esepcially 5 pounds in one month.

I dont know what to do anymore...everything cost money..the more visit the more i pay and the less answers i have. And alwasy wanting me to make a new appointment and miss work-i have no vacation left-i spend it all on Dr's appointments
Just because Free T3 and Free T4 are within the so-called "normal" ranges does not mean they are adequate for you.  Each patient is different and may need different levels of thyroid hormone to feel their best.  Also the ranges are far too broad to be functional for everyone.

Please post the actual results and their reference ranges.  Also if tested for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin please post those with ranges as well.

What other symptoms do you have?
Hi I see your post is from 2009... How are things going now? i also have been on the same dose and meds as u, I am so glad everyone is posting about these issues, i thought it was only me gaining weight..and feeling crappy.
I can not believe how rude my endo doc is, I asked a few questions about
weight gain, and underarm swelling...I was told that is not her problem go talk to someone else. ...I felt quite scared. I also had an issue with the first meds she put me on, within 30 hours my chin and neck became one...i had a reaction, which made me swell up, the emergency doc on call told me thats normal for graves patients...Luckily my gp did not agree, I got rid of the swelling almost within 15 hours after meds change...but the wieght gain...wow what a suprise... any solutions???? can we take any kind of wieght loss pill or different meds???? thanks for any thoughts out there...
I seriously doubt you will get a response from jeaucrew5, after all this time.  If you will post your thyroid related test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report we will be glad to give our opinion about your status.  Also please tell us about any other symptoms besides weight gain.  What med and dosage are you taking?