Thyroid Disorders Community
Weight Loss and Hashimoto's

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Weight Loss and Hashimoto's

I'm 28 yrs old and have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease for 2 years. I go to an endorcrinologist every 3 months and he now has my levels leveled out or in the normal range. I am very active and have competed in triathlons. I recently decided to train for a figure competition which calls for a strict diet and exercise regime. I started training in March with a goal set to do a competition in September. Throughout all the training and eating I didnt lose any weight. I did lose inches but zero pounds. Sad to say I didn't feel I was completely ready so i didn't compete.
I asked my dr about this and he said I must not be following my diet and pretty much didn't believe what I was saying. My question is this: how can I be so active, disciplined, and still not lose one pound. This is very frustrating especially for someone who works her booty off, literally.
Please help with any suggestions or ideas!

Thanks!
Just because your levels are in the so-called "normal" range does not mean they are adequate for you.  The ranges are too broad because they have never been corrected like done for TSH over 8 years ago.  Many of our members report that symptom relief for them required that Free T3 was adjusted into the upper part of its range and Free T4 adjusted to around the midpoint of its range.  

If you will please post your actual results and reference ranges shown on the lab report members will be glad to assess the adequacy of your testing and treatment.
I am having the same difficulties! It is so frustrating when I go to the dr they look at me like i am eating crap food! I was put on a 1500 ADA diet and work out and i have lost 10lbs over the past 6 months which i find to be quite pathetic. Prior to the dx and tx I had a weight problem but I could loos weight but now it is like cement. I am sorry for your frustration I do know it all to well! I dont feel drs understand this d/o very well!!!!
Gimel- my tests were taken
September 7, 2011
My T4 was 1.07
My hTSH was 2.6
I didn't see the reats for my free T3.
Does this help any?
You are missing the test you need to know most of all, which is Free T3.  Free T3 largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.  Scientific studies have shown that it correlated best with hypo symptoms, while Free T4 and TSH did not correlate at all.  

You did not mention whether you are taking thyroid meds, but I assume that you are because you said the doctor had you "leveled out".   Sorry, but
you do not need to have your test results "leveled out".  You need your symptoms relieved.  

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  Test results are valuable mainly as indicators during diagnosis and then afterward to track your Free T3 and Free T4 levels as meds are revised to relieve symptoms.  

You can get some good info about clinical treatment from this letter written by a good thyroid doctor for patients that he consults with from a distance  The letter is sent to the PCP of the patient to help guide treatment.  

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf

Take special notice of this statement in the letter.  "The ultimate criterion for dose adjustment must always be the clinical response. I have prescribed natural dessicated thyroid for your patient (Armour or Nature-Throid). These contain T4 and T3 (40mcg and 9mcg respectively per 60mg). They are more effective than T4 therapy for most patients. Since they provide more T3 than the thyroid gland produces, the well-replaced patient’s free T4 will be around the middle of its range or lower, and the FT3 will be high-“normal” or slightly high before the AM dose."

I suggest that you request to be tested for Free T3, along with Free T4 and TSH every time you go for testing.  If the doctor resists and makes excuses as to why it is not necessary, just insist on it and don't take no for an answer.  Many hypo patients taking T4 meds find that they do not convert T4 to T3 adequately, resulting in Free T3 levels that are too low in the range, and thus they have hypo symptoms. Many of our members, myself included, report that symptom relief for them required that Free T3 was adjusted into the upper third of the range and free T4 adjusted to around the midpoint of its range.
Gimel-

Thank yo so much for all of your knowledge on this. I called my Dr. and asked for the T3 test. They said that they only have it done once a year. I asked them if I could have it checked again, then I went on to explain what you had educated me on concerning my T3 levels.  The nurse acted like she never heard of any of that before. She did take notes of what I was saying and was giong to ask the Dr about getting my T3 results and maybe switching up my medicine.

We'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again for all your help. It helps when someone understands what your going through.
Thank you for understanding! Sometimes that is what we need is just someone to understand us and not treat us like we're crazy! Did you read what Gimel wrote below your comment? It was very helpful. Best of Luck with everything!
Just make sure that they test for Free T3 and Free T4, not Total T3 and Total T4.  I'd even make sure the lab people were aware it is to be the Frees not the totals.  That way they won't get it wrong.