Thyroid Disorders Community
What Is A Toxic Nodule?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

What Is A Toxic Nodule?

What is a toxic nodule and how does it get to be toxic?  Is it the same as a hot nodule?  What is the treatment for it and how does it affect your thyroid?
  • help! (1 replies):
    Hi: Dr. Lupo: I had a toxic nodule about a year a...[more]
  • Toxic Nodule (2 replies):
    A thyroid upscan has revealed a "toxic nodule". My bloo...[more]
  • TOXIC ADENOMA (4 replies):
    Hi Everyone, Can anyone tell me if they have ever had...[more]
  • What to expect (1 replies):
    Does anyone know what to expect, about 2 years ago I was...[more]
  • Low TSH (10 replies):
    My TSH ia .02, My T3 is 304, and my T4 is 14.9. I can't...[more]
From what I know - a toxic nodule is capable of secreting and releasing thyroid hormone to swing a patient into hypo and hyper symptoms in very short intervals at times.

Treatment is difficult - meds can be given but there is no steady pace until the nodule stops it function. Usually surgery to remove the partial gland that's infected can help. Most often meds will be needed to stabilze thyroid function after the toxic nodule is removed.
In addition to what Stella said - These nodules refuse to be controlled by your body's thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH).  They just run wide open dumping thyroid hormones into your system.
I asked my endo to name mine.  He replied, "It goes by many names, hot nodule, autonomous nodule, toxic nodule, T3 toxicosis."   I think this is to keep patients hopelessly confused.
Mine was successfully treated with radioactive iodine.  Endo said surgery was too dangerous for me.
The good news is that they are almost always non-cancerous.
I'm sure you'll have more questions, so ask them!  Anxiety is a BIG symptom and it really helps to have real people give you real answers instead of medical gobbeltygook.
Thanks guys for the info.  I have an appointment this morning with a ENT so we will see what he has to say.  I am excited to get in with him but scared at the same time.
I just got back from the doctor and he said these nodules are too big to biopsy a needle biopsy would be like a shot in the dark.  He wants to do surgery to remove them August 10th.  He wants me to have a MRI on my head to check my pituitary gland because my blood work is consistent to pituitary damage possibly caused from the accident I had last year.  It don't sound good,  I'm really scared
Gabby, my mom had one thyroid and large attached nodules removed 14 years ago. The doc couldn't tell if the nodules were cancerous, but after surgery he discovered they were benign. She's still alive now and is getting ready to celebrate her 75th birthday.

Tamra
Everything I've heard is that this is really nothing to be scared about. My husband has a toxic nodule which was found only after he had 2 seizures in one day. He'd never had one before and so they really checked him out and ended up finding this. They say it isn't related but I'm not so sure. Anyway, the biggest problem for us has been the waiting and trying to get his thyroid lined out. This all happened in Sept of 2011. He has confusion, tiredness, extreme cold, anxiety and is just plain not healthy feeling. He has a sonogram in March and will eventually take the iodine pill. Please tell me this is normal with the thyroid problems and not something else.