Thyroid Disorders Community
What are heterogeneous nodules?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

What are heterogeneous nodules?

I ask bcz they found 2 heterogenous nodules aprox. 3.5cm's ea. on my sister in law's ultrasound last week.  She sees her Dr. on Feb. 5th but in the meantime, any insight for her?

Thanks .. I'm at a loss on this one .. interesting to note she hasn't had any thyroid tests done yet (blood) and had had awful hot flashes the past 9 mos or so & mood changes  .. above and beyond menopause .. Maybe she will get some answers.

I am so glad she took my advice and went to the Dr.  The nodules were very visible.

C~
It is an isolated irregular nodule or goiter...basically suspect.
I'm so glad you encouraged her to get it checked out.

Heterogeneous is the opposite of homogeneous which mean "of the same".  Basically it's a "complex" nodule made of different cystic or solid components - yeah, suspicious.

The nodules are VERY large and I'm sure the doctor is going to recommend surgery.

I'm glad that she will have you to help her through all of this.
Thank you both very much ... and, I'm glad you have been there for me in support and knowledge; I am feeling consistently much better the past few days and know I can help her tremendously through her "wait and see" process.

C~
Moody, tired, had low thyroid for years.  Throat felt swollen like collar was too tight.  Dr. couldn't see it but since thyroid test was low then high again suggest ultrasound.   Mailed me a letter when my phone was dead  that reads Your results
Impression: Small heterogeneous thyroid with small module in the right.
If you have questions about your test results, please call and schedule an appointment to discuss with Dr. Davis.  

Either its not too serious or he's not the excitable type huh?

~ WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY ~

Why do Docs send out reports like this WITHOUT A PHONECALL explaining the results to you?????

Definitely call and ask how large the nodule is and what the followup plans call for?  If it is over 1.0cm then ask about a biopsy (fine needle aspiration called an FNA).  Usually under 1.0cm they won't do it .. probably isn't that large as the report says "small" but I'm not a doctor; just a patient like you are, too.

UPDATE:
My sister in law had her nodules out and they were not cancer!  Now listen to this part -- it is bizarre -- what they assumed was a full thyroid on her ultrasound actually was only 1/2 thyroid .. the other half which presented itself "as a thyroid" was actually a huge nodule that went thru the isthmus and was sitting in the cavity where her other 1/2 of thyroid should have been!!!!

She is symptom free from compression and has healed beautifullly;  cannot even see her scar.  We had surgeries 6 weeks apart from each other.

Pls. post back with your update and any other questions!!!

Cheryl
Hi Cheryl, I hope everything is okay with you and your sister-in-law. I have three (4, 6, & 9mm) ill-defined bilateral hypoechoic thyroid nodules on ultrasound report. Going to see endocrinologist on Monday (6/9/08) for FNR. My mom had thyroid cancer at 31, I am 47. She had thyroidechtomy and lived another 39 years taking thyroid meds. I'm trying to keep a positive outlook, but I'm nervous. Still hoping mine are benign as I'd rather not have surgery with all the killer bacteria in hospitals these days.....

Tamra
my report reads:significant elevated 24-hour thyroid uptake of 43.6%
the tyroid id enlarged with markedly heterogenous uptake.there is no suppression of portions of the gland the ultrasound demonstrated multiple solid nodules bilaterally.
impression findings are compatible with a toxic multi nodular goter.
my bw levels are also crazy.
CAN ANYONE PUT THIS IN LIKE LAMENS TERMS????????
Hi my name is ashley and ive just went thru alot of stuff with my thyroid. My dr found a lump on my right thyroid about a month ago,( ive been diagnosed with hypothyroidism about a year ago which included weight gain,mood swings, extreme hot flashes, always tired, constipation,the list goes on but those r some of the side effects) I was sent for an ultrasound of my thyroid to make sure it was a nodule ( lump) and it was so I was sent to a surgeon so they could check it out. The surgeon said it was a 1.7cm nodule and anything tht 1cm or about has to get biopsied just to b on the safe side. So I had to get a FNA ( fine needle aspiration) I got that done and the dr said there could b 4 outcomes to the biopsy (1) could b nothing and they woukd just keep an eye on it (2) syst will have to b removed thru surgery (3) cancer would have to b removed thru surgery (4) inconclusive biopsy which I would still have to have surgery to get it removed. So waiting for the results was the longest week of my life. It wasnt cancer thank god but the name he told me I cant remember but I had to have surgery to get it removed. Today is friday and I had the right side of my throid removed on tuesday and I feel shocking good. Im sore of course but nothing that tylenol cant help. So my advice is for her to get to the dr and get it taken care of. Your thyroid can cause ALOT of problems if its not working properly I even ended up in the hospital when they discovered I had hypothyroidism because it caused my sugar to drop down to 52 so thats how many things it can mess with. So please dont wait any longer to get to the dr. she will feel sooo much better when she gets medicine to fix it.  
I have MS. I am 42.  I was diagnosed 13 months ago. I feel great.  However, I had two MRI's done to make sure my shots were working.  The lesion on my spine was gone and the one on my brain was smaller.  HOWEVER, they found a 1.8 cm left thyroid lesion that is heterogeneous intermediate to high signal.  OH MY GOSH.  I have to see an Endocrinologist.  I am at a loss for what this means.  Even though I have MS I am extremely healthy.  Strange thing.....I gained 12 lbs this past year, fatigue, night sweats and moodiness. I thought it was the MS but maybe it was this stupid lesion on my thyroid.  Any feedback.. Nervous
Hi Ashleythyroidism,

I am just wondering how you got on? I have a 1.8cm nodule and the results of the biopsy showed some cell change so they are removing half my thyroid gland to get a better look.

Regards,

Mel