Thyroid Disorders Community
What are the different types of Hyperthyroidism?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

If Graves Diseas is the most common form of hyperthyroidism, what are the other forms?  I'm still waiting to see the Endro but at this point my tests are showing that I am Hyper.  I'm leaning towards belieiving that I may be developing Graves Disease but I don't want to get ahead of the doctor.  My scan only showed the upper left lobe of my thyroid being effected and that is the one thing making me think it might not be Graves.  Can one have Graves and it not effect the entire thyroid or could it be early in the illness?  Any ideas?  Are there other types of Hyperthyroidism?  It would make sense that there would be but I can't seem to find much on it.  Thanks in advance!
it sounds like you could have a hyperfunctioning nodule based on your upper left lobe findings.  that's one type of hyperthyroidism.

another type is hashitoxicosis, which is when the thyroid is damaged causing the preformed t4 and t3 to be released that causes a temporary hyperthyroidism.

eating way too much iodine?  i think that can cause hyperthyroidism in some people.

taking too much synthetic hormone (medication).

that's all i can think of.  you can find loads of information on hyperthyroidism by googling.
Thanks for the reply.  I'm a little confused on what a "nodule" is.  Is it a lump on, mass in, or just an area of the thyroid that is over/under working?  I was told there is no goiter.  My thyroid is only slighty enlrged to the touch.  

When I researched the hashitoxicosis, it stated hypothyroism.  As best I understand, my test thus far are showing everything as hyper, as well as my symptoms.  Is it possible to be both hyper & hypo?  I wouldn't think so.

On the iodine ... would iodized salt play in?  If so, that is about the only thing that I know of that I take in.  Yes, my desire for salt has increased but I try to be caustious with this due to high blood pressure.  I very rarely eat seafood of any kind.  Have I missed something on my understanding of this too?

The only medication I take is for high blood pressure and a stomach ulcer.

TIA!
what tests have you had?  blood work?  antibodies?  what type of scan did you have?  nuclear?  do you have the lab report to post?

i had hashitoxicosis.  i was hyperthyroid for several months...at least.  after all of the preformed t4 and t3 were used up, my tsh raised to signal the thyroid to start working again.  my thyroid is damaged and will not produce t4/t3 on its own.  now i'm hypo and on synthroid.  my thyroid may spontaneously recover someday, but as of right now, i'm still very hypo.

a hyperfunctioning nodule (i think it's called a "hot nodule" as well) is a solid/cystic/tissue mass in the thyroid that starts to produce t3/t4 independent of tsh feedback.  i think it can be treated via medication or raiu to "kill it".  i'm not sure though.  can anyone else provide info on hyperfunctioning nodules?

go to www.thyroidmanager.org and look up hyperthyroidism and other causes of hyperthyroidism other than graves.
I've had blood work but do not know specifically which.  It was by my general practcioner and she just stated thy my thyroid was over active.  She then sent me for an ultra sound, thyroid scan and uptake tests.  I do not know the ultra sound results.  The scan showed the upper left lobe as over active.  The 4 hour uptake was at 16%, while the 24 hour uptake was at 51%.  My apt with the Endro is set for May 8th.  I will hopefully get more answers then.