What does a goiter look like?
I have a large multinodular goitre with a 2.6cm left/centre hypoechoic nodule. The left lobe is double the right.  All pictures of a normal gland portray it as sort of egg-shaped around the larnyx and goitres appear as large round swellings.

My goitre reaches across my neck.  Instead of being rounded, the visible swelling actually measures 18cm wide x 6cm high (about 7in x 2in). It clearly moves up and down as I swallow and causes choking at times.  Are all goitres different? Why would mine grow out sideways so much?
Do you have any pics to post??? I also had a goiter before i had a Total Thyroidectomy, however, it was noticeable more to doctors than anyone else. Depending on the size and location of the goiter, the shape can be different. Have you had an fna (fine needle biopsy) on the nodules???
Sorry no pic.  My last u/s(Aug 2009) result showed that I had a new mass of 2.6 cm that was not there last year. Thyroid size had also increased.  Hypo symptoms increased and by Oct I could actually see the goitre and the lump!  I had a biopsy which in my opinion was useless - the pathologist simply stated that Hashimoto's could not be ruled out because of the abundant lymphocytic population.  I was already diagnosed with Hashi 10 yrs ago!  My specialist closed his file - so I went to another ENT who increased my levo from 100 mcg to 150.  That was almost a month ago and I haven't seen any improvement to either my horrid hypo symptoms, the goitre or the lump.  I had another u/s which I will get the results from next week - which I'm sure will confirm an increase in size over last exam and give me updated measurements.
If the thyroid goiter and nodule continues to grow even when you are on the med's, surgery may be necessary. I glad that you seeked another opinion because this is not something to leave alone.