Thyroid Disorders Community
What does coarse echotexture mean?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

What does coarse echotexture mean?

Hi all,

I just had an ultrasound of my thyroid come back and it said the words:

"Right thyroid lobe is 5.0cm x 1.4cm x 1.5cm, left lobe is 3.7cm x 1.6cm x 1.0cm and the isthmus is 0.3cm. The left lobe, in the middle portion, shows a 0.8cm x 0.5cm well defined slightly hypoechoic nodule and the echo suggests an adenoma. The parenchyma elsewhere is slightly coarse.

Summary: Multiple lymph nodes in right and left anterior triangles of the neck. Normal sized thyroid gland with slightly coarse echotexture and left lobe adenoma found."

I know that they found what looks to be a tumor, but what does the coarse echotexture mean? I am awaiting my endo's phone call but he has not seen the results yet.

I know adenoma's can be common, but I am a 24 year old male, so that makes it less common due to my sex and age. Also I have Celiac Disease, another autoimmune disorder related to cancers and I have lymph nodes swollen in my neck (12 found, largest 1.8 x 0.6cm), the coarseness of the thyroid, one lobe is close to being enlarged. The adenoma is small, but do the other risks warrant a FNA biopsy to make sure that is isn't anything worse?

THanks again!

Any input or knowledge is appreciated. Thanks!
hi Dantetila. coarse echotexture is basically saying that the surface of your thyroid, instead of being nice and smooth and healthy, is a bit rough, it's what you'd expect if a thyroid isn't working properly, in itself it's nothing extra to worry about. Obviously a tumour sounds more worrying, but if you do have thyroid cancer it's one of the easiest cancers to treat.

I'm afraid I can't tell you any more than that about your scan, I'm no expert but remember having the same question about the echotexture when I had an ultrasound so can at least share the answer my doctor gave me for that with you.

I hope you hear from your endo soon and that you get whatever treatment you may need and that you will be okay. It's horrible and scary being ill but there are great treatments available now.

Sending you every good wish
I have Graves Disease and HAD Hyperthyroidism and this was on my ultrasound too.
It usually means the thyroid is being attacked and is damaged and not functioning or overfunctioning as the case may be.
Antibodys and nodules can cause this texture.
In my case, it was the Graves antibodies doing the damage.

Have you had antibody testing done for the thyroid?
Not yet, just had TSH and T3/T4 tested. I get the results next Friday. The problem is, I saw my Endo Dr for my annual followup this last Tuesday, two days before I got my US results.

My family doctor wants me to go back and see him, so I'm waiting on my endo's office to call back. Unfortunately, they will likely make me wait the standard three months (in canada) since this isn't likely a priority.

The unfortunate thing is in December I was diagnosed with Celiac's Disease, which has a strong link to Thyroid Disease. I'm afraid this may be early signs of Graves or hashimoto.

Now since the Ultrasound said slight, does this mean it could just be normal, or is coarse echo texture always a bad thing. Please do not sugar coat it, I just really want to know if this is something that my Endo will just pass over or is it something that needs further digging.

Thank you Smilerdeb, did your say slight or fully rough?

Thank you yallolorry, now you said that is nothing to worry about. Does this mean it can be normal to be rough or is it usually a sign that something isn't working correctly. How did you Endo handle your case, I hope all is well with both you (Smilerdeb as well). My GP said that tumor's are common and that is needs to be looked at, but isn't overly concerning. I would think even though tumor's are common, that the coarse texture and the tumor combined would warrant tests. I'm just afraid because it is only 8mm that my Endo will just tell me it is normal.

Thanks to both of you.