Thyroid Disorders Community
What does it mean?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

What does it mean?

I just got a copy of my lab results from my GP.  I have a Free T4 of a 0.89 and a TSH, Sensitive of a 4.19.  What does it all mean?  My GP put me on Snythroid 50 mg once daily.  Thank you in advance for caring, taking the time to share!
Tags: results
Hi, I'm not brilliant with the test result reference ranges over there in the USA, but I think it looks like you have an underactive thyroid, your thyroid isn't working as well, so they give you the medication to replace the thyroxine that your body isn't making enough of. Hope this helps. But wait for some replies off more experienced people to be sure.
Do you know of any good websites that I can research about test results and what they mean?
Test results are based on lab ranges, and different labs use different ranges. So you need to look at your results in the context of what your lab range limits are.

Your Free T4 is low. How low depends on your lab ranges. The report probably shows that your T4 is low, but still within lab limits.

Your Free T4 needs to be about two thirds of the way up between the low limit and the high limit.

It means you need thyroid hormones. Now the doctor needs to figure out WHY you need thyroid hormones.

The health pages (the button is up on the right) may help you understand things a little better, but feel free to ask questions. You can find links there that explain test results.