What is Thyroglobulin AB?
My 9 years old daughter just had a thyroid test and it came out as follows:

T4 7.4
T3 149
TSH 2.79
Thyroid Peroxidase AB 11
But, Thyroglobulin AB 200

Please tell me if there is any problem with this result?

Best regards,

Kristine' mom
Thyroglobulin AB is thyroglobulin antibodies.

Thyroglobulin is produced by all thyroid cells and is one of the building blocks for making thyroid hormones.

Thyroglobulin antibodies are produced by the immune system by mistake, and their job is to do what all antibodies do; eliminate an invader. Unfortunately, the invader is your daughter's thyroid gland.

TGab will try to interfere with thyroid hormone production. It does not damage the gland directly. It attacks thyroglobulin, and if it can destroy enough thyroglobulin, hormone production slows down.  

The test result indicates an autoimmune thyroid disease. There is no effective treatment for these antibodies. The titer may rise or fall over time.

Her TSH is a little high, more than likely. Most people have a TSH under 2.0, although that does not hold true for everyone. I know nothing about pediatric thyroid levels, so her TSH may be normal.

The T4 and T3 test results are hard to comment on. There is a total T4 test and a Free T4 test. The Free T4 test is more acurate. Same story for the T3 test.

Different labs use different ranges for T4/T3 tests, for various reasons. To understand what a result means, you have to look at the result in relation to the lab ranges listed on the report.

What this means to you right now is that your daughter needs to have regular monitoring done to keep track of what her hormone levels are doing. Perhaps every three months.

Understanding test results is a bit complicated. The spread on what is "normal" for TSH, Free T4, and Free T3 are too broad, and a person can have a hormone imbalance and still have test results in the "normal" range the lab uses.

There is more you will want to learn. I'm all typed out for the moment. Others will probably respond. I'm sure you have other questions as well.

Welcome to the forum.
Maybe this can be of help to you.
Click on the link......

http://surgery.med.umich.edu/pediatric/clinical/patient_content/n-z/thyroid.shtml

Good Luck :)