Thyroid Disorders Community
What is a complex cyst?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

What is a complex cyst?

Help!  
I am totally new to this site.  I have almost every single symtom of hypothyroid. I went to the doc, he even agreed that it sounded like hypothyroid...ran the blood work tests...I patiently waited.  In the meantime I received results of an ultrasound that I had done through a mobile lab that ran ultrasound tests on heart, gall bladder, thyroid, kidneys,etc.  Everything came back normal except for a complex cyst on my thyroid....also said bilateral gioter...see a doctor
.
Anyhow...the doctor said the tsh levels were normal.  SO  I showed him the ulrasound PICTURES and Drs comment regarding the complex cyst. I told him my aunt had to have her thyroid removed and my grandfather had thyroid problems. He told me NO!  No PROBLEMS with your thyroid!  I just about cried!  Actually,  I later did and told him, "But I FEEL terrible!!"  He gave me a RX for depression (because I was crying) and referred me to a neurologist for carpal tunnel (I told him about pain that radiates up my left arm and into my heart).

I am so confused! AND angry!  What do I do?  What is a complex cyst?  Do I need to look further?  How do I get a doctor to listen?  Am I just crazy?
I have no clue, I have hyper thyroid.  I just love the name goitergirly.   Welcome
thanks.
My dr. also for months said there was nothing wrong. You are depressed, as soon as the dr asked how I was feeling I would burst into tears. Again she would write a prescrip. for depression meds. Finally my tests came back overactivew thyroid. Dr. finally believed me.  Can be very frustrating ... Hang in there.   I also at one point thought I was going nuts...Thyroid will do that to ya.
Thanks again...wow...I did not know any of this....This is quite a site!
Get to an endocrinologist - NOW.   Complex cyst means mixed cyst comprised of solid and fluid materials.  Okay - it's not solid and it's not a fluid filled cyst - it's both.

Complex cysts are nothing to ignore.  You need a thyroid specialist (endocrinologist who deals with thyroids - not just diabetes)

Unfortunately, welcome to the world of incompetent doctors telling us we are crazy and giving us antidepressants.

My labs were perfectly normal too; felt horrible; complex cyst.

Get it checked out by a specialist.

Utahmomma
papillary carcinoma '03
three sisters with papillary carcinoma
The complex cyst larger then 1 cm is subject to FNA, because the higher malignancy risk is associated with large complex cysts.
The TSH testing alone is not satisfactory for thyroid condition evaluation; it must be done in the morning before the breakfast; in addition T4 as well as TPO and TG antibodies levels must  be obtained.
the 'bilateral goiter' term needs furter explanation as this term is very broad
If this were me, I'd be finding another doctor and an endocrinologist.  To have a doctor who has results that say that there is a partially cystic nodule and ignore it, I'd say that you need another doc and see an endocrinologist to either agree with or disagree with your current doc.  

It very well could be that your thyroid is functioning properly and that perhaps, you do have some depression but, let a fully qualified specialist determine that for you.