What is goiter
OK, in March, while having a CScan, they accidently came upon several nodules and my doc said I had a goiter.
I haven't been back for another scan ~ have other problems as well.

So, question is:  What is goiter?  What should I look for?  I know it's getting bigger cause I can see it.  What are
all of these other problems having to do with thyroid glands?

I thank you kindly.
dianque
Hi, a goiter is an enlargement of the thyroid gland, you can get noduals on the gland that if they become over 1cm will need to be biopsied..Are you on any meds for thyroid problems, if not i would go back and find out what is going on there....Dawn
I agree with what the other poster said: I also have a multinodule goiter and the concern that the docs have is that the nodules can become cancerous which means that you must have tests done to determine your status. The nodules should be biopsied (fna) to test for cancerous cells. Although the fna may sometimes detect cancer, there are benign cells that are similiar to cancerous cells that are harder to detect and in that case, they will recommend a partial thyroidectomy or a total thyroidectomy. The most important thing to do is to monitor the nodules and also get more than one opinion.  
It looks like this
www.thyroidcancer.com/images/newsletter11-a.jpg