Thyroid Disorders Community
What is treatment for high thyroid antibodies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I have Hoshimotos and have for numerous years.  My thyroid is enlarged and my antibodies are over 400.  All of my other levels are within normal range.  I am on Synthroid and my dosage has not changed in years.  I would like to know what kind of treatments there are to lower my antibodies and get the size of my thyroid reduced.
There's really nothing you can do to lower antibody counts, as long as you still have healthy thyroid tissue.  Some say selenium can help, though I only found that to help with conversion of T4 to T3.  

Some say going gluten free will help, but that's a very controversial subject and there's no scientific evidence that it works.

When I was having episodes of inflammation, which is causing the swelling, I found that laying a cool cloth across my neck, helped a lot, but do make sure you don't rub or keep palpating the area, as that can irritate and cause it to swell worse.  I also found that taking Aleve or tylenol, etc helped with the pain.  You could talk to your doctor about that.

Do you have symptoms of hypothyroidism?  If so, your dosage of synthroid may not be right.

If you have current labs, you could post them, with the reference ranges from your lab report (ranges vary lab to lab, so must come from your own report), so members can better assess your situation and possibly offer more suggestions.
My Antibodies count was over 700.

You may need to get a blood test again to see where your levels are and if you need an adjustment with your medication.
Im not suggesting removal and only speaking from my own experience but my antibodies were 1200-1600.  I had my thyroid removed on feb 16 and they are now down to around 100 and dropping.

There is a myth / thought out there that having the thyroid removed, the antibodies will attack something else.  If this is true, then at this point I am a sitting duck.  However, I feel much better than before and my antibodies have certainly dropped.
Most factors contributing to autoimmune thyroid conditions such as Hashimoto's and Grave's disease are dietary. There are many studies on how identifying and then removing a food that triggered the disease can improve symptoms and lower levels of thyroid antibodies.

Recently I came across an article about how different foods can cause  high thyroid antibodies:

http://outsmartdisease.com/about-high-anti-thyroid-antibodies-levels
I went through that site.  I saw a lot of misinformed or misleading statements.  Mainly there is a lot of talk about symptoms and problems that were supposedly caused by high antibodies levels, when the patients were supposedly in a euthyroid state.   If the assumption of a euthyroid state was based on our old nemesis TSH, then it is easy to understand why there would be symptoms and problems remaining.  We've all gone through that with our many doctors.  The symptoms and problems would be due to remaining hypothyroidism, not due to the antibodies themselves.   Then I noticed at the end, another link that contains the sales pitch, which is likely the purpose for the site.  
I didn't see any misinformation or misleading statements in the article and found it to be very helpful. High thyroid antibodies are a certain indicator of inflammation and active autoimmune process that is ignored by most doctors. It took me a long time to get diagnosed with Hashimoto's and when the diagnosis was finaly made I had very high thyroid antibodies and multiple symptoms but only borderline hypothyroidism. Doctors don't have any treatment for borderline hypothyroidsm and this article gave me a direction to look for the triggers of Hashimoto's and high thyroid antibodies in my diet.  
I read the entire article, and like gimel, I saw some misinformation and misleading statements.  I, too, suspect that the entire article was leading up to the advertisement at the end.  There's always a gimmick to try to get people to spend money.

Borderline hypothyroidism?  A person is hypo, or they aren't.  Lab results often lag behind symptoms, therefore, it's simply a matter of whether or not the person's labs have caught up with symptoms, and/or the doctor's interpretation of both.  Many doctors refuse to treat patients with hypo symptoms, whose actual thyroid hormone levels are still within the normal range, even if very low in the range, particularly, if TSH is "normal".  Since many labs are using outdated TSH ranges (the "new" recommended range is 0.3-3.0), and many doctors are diagnosing/treating, based solely on TSH, many people are being left undiagnosed.

If your doctor is testing only TSH or reacting to TSH levels, you need to find another one, because yours will keep you ill. As gimel said: "we've all gone through this"............

The main purpose I came to this forum was to find support... but it feels like I am being attacked for just sharing an article that I found to be helpful
Actualluy, you'll find that members here are always very supportive.  We go out of our way to learn all we can about thyroid issues, and help other members.  

At the same time we are very protective of our fellow members.  We always call out any suspect info that is not supported by scientific data.   Anecdotal info that has no scientific support, and that seems to lead to a sales pitch, will always be questioned.  You were not attacked, but the information you provided does not stand up to close scrutiny, so it is our duty to bring that to the attention of members.  If you can provide scientific study data that supports the claims in the link you gave, we are always open to examine such info.

In you post you said, "High thyroid antibodies are a certain indicator of inflammation and active autoimmune process that is ignored by most doctors. It took me a long time to get diagnosed with Hashimoto's and when the diagnosis was finaly made I had very high thyroid antibodies and multiple symptoms but only borderline hypothyroidism."  Our experience has been that most often doctors tend to ignore thyroid blood tests that are low in the ranges because they have the "Immaculate TSH Belief" and think that is adequate.  It is not.  Then, when those patients exhibit thyroid antibodies tests that exceed their range, that is typically accepted by doctors as an autoimmune disorder, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  The problem then is that they often ignore symptoms and do not want to start treatment until test results are out of the reference ranges.  In the interim, patients frequently suffer with hypo symptoms.
Doctor initially put me on levothyroxin (levothyroxine) for hypothyroidism and sent me to an endocrinologist. Had ultrasound done and doctor said my thyroid looked like a war zone. Told me I have Hashimoto's disease and I have multiple nodules on my thyroid. He had blood work done and the results came back today. My antibody count is 4510 (normal is under 35). Could this just be a mess up or has anyone seen levels this high? I have been searching the interwebs for information and find that people are freaking out when they have elevated antibody count of 400-1200. I have to schedule a biopsy. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
I think you would get a much better response by hitting the <Back to Community Button, then go to the top of the forum page and hit "Post A Question"  You have posted at the end of an old thread, so it does not get the attention a new Post would. Best Regards FTB4
I agree that it would be best to start your own new thread.  However, I'd like to reassure you that antibody counts in the thousands are not at all unusual.  My TPOab was 900+ and TGab was 3,000+ on diagnosis.  Also, antibody levels do not necessarily correlate with severity of the disease.
Just curious what the misinformed/misleading statements were? If you dig deeper into this guy's site, you'll find extensive research and thought put in here. Also, what sales pitch? Didn't see one personally, other than for a series of articles that were rich with information and free. Also, this guy seems to utilize Dr. K's ideas, which I've recently found to be useful in understanding this disease. Could these articles use more references? Yes. But turning someone away from them based on your own quick judgements doesn't seem appropriate either.
I haven't read the article referenced, but I have read K's book and know that both gimel and Barb have as well.  So, there was no "quick judgement" on anyone's part.  It often doesn't take long to know you've been down this same road before.

K's book is filled with misinformation, and the last few chapters are nothing but a sales pitch.  I started highlighting "Please work with a qualified health care practioner to safely and correctly use these nutrients in the right amounts."  On some pages, it appears several times...just in case you didn't get the point that you should be working with one of K's disciples (and buying your supplements/nutrients from him).

The best sales pitches leave the pitchee not knowing he's been pitched.