Thyroid Disorders Community
What tests should we be getting for Enlarged Tyroid ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

My husband has been having some major problems with his thyroid for approx three months now. His doctors seem unconcerned about this condition but his symptoms scare me.  His thyroid is very enlarged and his levels are low.  It started out as a painful lump about three months ago and his condition has seemed to balloon out of control since.  He is in a lot of pain, coughing, choking,(a swallow test was normal), a lot of anxiety, and now an weird obsession with mint. He will have a strong smell of mint at random times throughout the day.  Now he wants to eat peppermint patties or jr mints all the time too?? He has a lot of pain from his ear all the way down to his chest on the right side.  Today he had a thyroid scan, RAIU, I believe.  The pics showed one side looking grey but the other side is almost completely white with only on grey spot.  I looked up on the web and everything I have seen shows white as cold spots, and cold spots as bad?  The radiologist tried to get a dr in to look at the scan and no one was available.  They said we will probably hear from his pcp next week. Are there other tests I should ask for?  The dr seems to just think it's nothing, shouldn't hurt, and that I am worrying for nothing.  I would appreciate any advice out there. Thanks so much
An enlarged Thyroid (Goiter) is very common and affects many people. A Uptake Scan is what your husband had and it is more than likely abnormal due to size of the Goiter. I too had an enlarged Gland with nodules (masses) which are common as well. If your husband has nodules within the Gland, he will have an FNA (fine needle biopsy) to determine if there are any abnormal cells within the gland.  If there are any abnormal cells, the endocrinologist (thyroid doctor) will decide what treatment if any is best for your husband. Because this is affecting him in many ways as well as his levels, he will either be put on med's to control his levels or be recommended for removal. I had a Total Thyroidectomy due to the nodules and the enlarged Goiter, however my levels were fine. They will also rule out any thyroid conditions that your husband may have (hyper or hypo)....After he is diagnosed and gets the proper treatment, he will be ok...