Thyroid Disorders Community
What tests should we be getting for Enlarged Tyroid ?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

What tests should we be getting for Enlarged Tyroid ?

My husband has been having some major problems with his thyroid for approx three months now. His doctors seem unconcerned about this condition but his symptoms scare me.  His thyroid is very enlarged and his levels are low.  It started out as a painful lump about three months ago and his condition has seemed to balloon out of control since.  He is in a lot of pain, coughing, choking,(a swallow test was normal), a lot of anxiety, and now an weird obsession with mint. He will have a strong smell of mint at random times throughout the day.  Now he wants to eat peppermint patties or jr mints all the time too?? He has a lot of pain from his ear all the way down to his chest on the right side.  Today he had a thyroid scan, RAIU, I believe.  The pics showed one side looking grey but the other side is almost completely white with only on grey spot.  I looked up on the web and everything I have seen shows white as cold spots, and cold spots as bad?  The radiologist tried to get a dr in to look at the scan and no one was available.  They said we will probably hear from his pcp next week. Are there other tests I should ask for?  The dr seems to just think it's nothing, shouldn't hurt, and that I am worrying for nothing.  I would appreciate any advice out there. Thanks so much