Thyroid Disorders Community
What time is best to take your thyroid medication?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Is it really crucial to take it at least one hour before eating?

I really can't wait 1 hour so I now take my medication whenever I wake up in the middle of the night, can be 2 AM or 5 AM (I have insomnia): is that OK to do that??

There is no problem to take your med in the middle of the night or early morning.  

Actually there are some studies finding that some people do better taking it in the evening instead of the morning.

The main thing really is just to be consistent about taking the med.  Whatever you do it should always be the same, and it should work for you.

Hope this helps.

In talking to my Dr he said 30 minutes before or 4 hours after a meal.   No calcium supplements w/in 4 hours either way (does not include dairy you eat).  Other than that he said it's perfectly fine to take it at whatever time works for you as long as it's consistent.   He said that was the key.   He wants me to vary the time I take my meds by no more than an hour if possible.   I am starving in the AM but I found if I take my pill when I get up for work (around 5:30) and putter around a little, before I know it it's 6:00 and I can eat.   I didn't have much luck taking it at night as it affected my sleep.  
what form of thyroid meds are you on?