Thyroid Disorders Community
What to do?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

What to do?

I have been seen by my doctor for 3 years now.
3 times I had the U/S and FNB
FNB Normal.
U/S showed the goiter has grown a bit.

Each time, I've asked what causes the goiter to grow, doctor says I don't know.
I've asked about meds, surgery, etc...  he has said no, we will just monitor it.
Well at this appt, I asked if we could go to monitoring it once every 2 years instead of once a year, cause he always says well it has grown a bit and I figured 2 years would be better than once a year, plus I wouldn't have to feel like this was just another one of those annual exams you have to do as a female.
Well, he then tells me that sounds good as long as the U/S and FNB are the same.
Now he is telling me that I need to come back in 3 months for another U/S, 6 months for another FNB, because the goiter is still growing and also he is putting me on meds.  
Why couldn't he do this 3 years ago?  Is he just doing this now to keep me as his patient, or is there something seriously wrong with the goiter going from 1.93 to 1.99 in one year.
HELP!!!!
I guess I should also add that my hormone levels are normal.

I can empathize with you.  Thyroid goiter is very frustrating.  I've had 2 FNB's one normal and one pending.  My thyroid hormone levels are  also normal.  At least with me, they never really seemed to give me any advice or suggestions.  I've been dealing with this for 2 years and it's so frustrating.  What meds is he putting you on?  I recently read an article that Iodine, Vitamin A and l-tyrosine are helpful to promote thryoid function and that vitamin E may actually inhibit something (sorry- I can't remember the specifics), but you may wish to look into these and ask your doctor if they are helpful and if this info is correct.  Also someone suggested acupuncture into the thyroid is also helpful but I am a little apprehensive of this.  Do you have any other symptoms?  Good luck
First let me say Thanks.  
He has put me on 25 mcg of Synthroid.
No Thyroid problem symptoms.
I don't think I could do the acupuncture either.  It's bad enough getting the FNB's, I couldn't imagine more needles.  Don't you feel like the doctor are just having soo much fun with you?  It's like they have an inside joke on how many patients they can annoy.  LOL.

All of mine started from having 2 tests with high levels.  They said I maybe Hyper.
but every test after this is normal.  Because of those 2 tests with high levels, they ran an U/S, then the scan and found a goiter and cold nodulars, so I get to do this.