Thyroid Disorders Community
What to expect taking synthroid??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

What to expect taking synthroid??

Hi.  I've just been diagnosed with a slightly elevated TSH and my dr. is putting me on Synthroid.  I start on it today or tomorrow, as soon as I go to the pharmacy and get it.  Just wondering what to expect taking it?  Side effects??  How long will it take when I will notice a change in how I feel??

Thanks : )
SHelley
Everyone is different. Some do well on it some do not. It willtake awhile to get your levels stable and unfortunately there are side effects.

Like I said, some can do well and others not.
Good luck to you!

MK
I've been on the generic form of the drug, the brand you're on and now a different brand (changed due to insurance coverage).

I think they all take time. a few months or so, to settle in and all have some side effects.  For me, it's been nothing that's been unbearable though.  The side effects have been things like: itching; vertigo; malaise.  They either did subside, or I believe would've subsided, over time.  Of course, I think I'll always have that vague feeling that comes with taking any drug on a daily basis -since I can relate to people's descriptions of being on high blood pressure med, etc.  One thing I am having issues with right now is being in the sun and needing to use sunscreen, hats and sunglasses more than I used too.

I found the drug insert helpful to read.

Good luck.